Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does a dual boot system get the virus/malware in both OS or just one?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 techedumbdumb

techedumbdumb

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:59 PM

Not the same computer in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs Forum-MG

I have another topic open right now regarding this same computer. Yesterday's Avast anti-virus scan on the XP Pro OS never completed and the system shut down adn kept rebooting itself into XP all night long. This morning I opened the Win2k OS without a problem and I have run the Malwarebytes anti-malware program in there and found 63 infections. Most of them were Trojan names. I saw one that had the rootlit word in it. I have a copy of that report if anyone is interested. My concern is this: Do these two OS share the exact same bugs or do they act seperately?

I do not know much at all about computers and I ask this questions because whenever I am in either OS and I execute a defrag, both OS have the exact same disk drives on them. There is a C: E: and F: to defrag and clean up. How can I tell if they share all components or am I asking the wrong question here. Can the Win2K OS do the job of cleaning up this computer or do I have to clean up btoh OS on it in order to continue? For now, no one has answered my post regarding the sequential order i should use to begin cleanup of the computer. Do you start with anti-virus cleaning and then malware cleaning and then spyware? Now that I'm not able to get into the XP Pro OS then can I get all bugs out utilizing the good OS?

Edited by garmanma, 05 March 2010 - 10:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Noviciate

Noviciate

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:32 PM

Good evening. :thumbsup:

Do these two OS share the exact same bugs or do they act seperately?

If you are asking if whatever infections you have picked up will affect both operating systems, I would say not - but I don't know for sure as it depends on exactly how the malware has been crafted.

I ask this questions because whenever I am in either OS and I execute a defrag, both OS have the exact same disk drives on them. There is a C: E: and F: to defrag and clean up.

A defrag tool will scan the PC for any hard drives and offer to defrag them. It doesn't matter which drive the tool is on, or which partition within that drive, only whether or not it can see any drives to assess for cleaning up.

How can I tell if they share all components or am I asking the wrong question here.

Each operating system will be self-contained, having it's own hard drive, or partition within a drive, depending on how you installed them. While there may be identical files within each OS, they will belong to that OS and not be actively shared.

Can the Win2K OS do the job of cleaning up this computer or do I have to clean up btoh OS on it in order to continue?

While malware scanners can access and remove any malicious files that they find on your hard drive(s), regardless of which OS they are running within, some scans will need to be run with a particular operating system active in order to diagnose any issues.

Do you start with anti-virus cleaning and then malware cleaning and then spyware?

These days these terms are pretty much interchangeable. Slimey files are slimey files and they will be removed as and when they are identified, although occasionally one infection may need to be removed as a priority for some reason.

Now that I'm not able to get into the XP Pro OS then can I get all bugs out utilizing the good OS?

Unfortunately not, but it may help for the boot loop XP has. I would hazard a guess that a file called userinit.exe has been removed by a scanner that you have run and without this file, your machine won't boot properly. It was either a malicious file or a legitimate one that had been infected and this was why it was targeted. Having the ability to boot the PC under a different OS could make replacing the file a lot easier than it might otherwise have been.

I hope these are the answers you were seeking and if you sit tight i'm sure that somebody will be along to deal with your original thread as soon as they can.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

#3 techedumbdumb

techedumbdumb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:29 AM

Noviciate,
Thanks for your answers. Some were helpful to me and some just make me want to ask more questions. In case anyone else reads this post/topic I want to update the situation I am having on this computer (Sony Viao with dual OS, Win2K and XP Pro).

After being locked out of XP Pro two days ago while Avast was running and shut down unexpectadley, the XP loop happened and has since not changed. I never removed virus's from XP Pro OS because the scan never completed and therefore no action was ever taken. XP Pro has not been able to get online this entire week when I first started trying to clean it up so I had to download Avast to a flash drive from a differnt computer and therefore force it onto XP Pro OS. That worked and while running, this is where the problem started. As far as I know, Avast never removed a file for infection so I doubt that the file "userinit.exe could have been removed form that OS. BUT, I could be wrong because I really don't know how this computer was initially installed of the two OS's. I did not do it. I bought this old dino of a Sony from a neighbor who installed the two OS's and told me to just pick XP Pro when prompted. This could be why that OS was so heavily infected in the first place and I couldn't perform a single action in that OS because it worked SUPER slow. Now that I'm locked out of XP Pro I have done some work in the Win2k OS and I will describe that below.

Win2K runs faster than the XP Pro OS did and it lets me online but still runs slow. This could be becase the computer is from 1995 and the processor is 233MHz (I really don't know cuz I'm still not that familiar with the computer lingo I use :thumbsup: Since neither OS has ever been updated at Microsoft that was the first thing I did two days ago. Now Win2K is all up to date there and I installed Avast Anti-virus yesterday and Malwarebytes yesterday. Firsty I ran Malwarebytes on Win2K. It took 1 1/2 hours to complete and has found 64 infections. I deleted them all. Then I ran Avast and let that run all night long and this morning it has completed and found 82 infections. Most of these were 'trojan" virus's. I asked Avast to delete all of them and there were three various error messages that came up and I couldn't remove them all. I am going to email Avast about the error messages and see how I should proceed with the remaining virus's that could not be removed to chest or deleted. For now, this system is running a bit faster.

Bottom line is: I want to continue to clean out the entire system of all bugs and see if it will let me back into XP Pro. Since I do not know how the OS"s were set up and how to tell, does anyone have further advice on how to read my system so I could decipher which OS is on which drive? I have three disks/drives listed in "my computer". C: E: and F: I have installed SIW on this OS Win2K so I could give someone further details, if needed to help me, but i would need soemone to be specific on what they want to see since SIW is a little too complicated for me to decipher as I am a complete computer novice on the guts of my machines. I'm learning folks!
If anyone has furhter advice to help me clean up btoh OS's including how to get back into XP Pro then please feel free to direct traffic for me. I appreciate all the help I can get and will read any tutorials or forum articles sent my way that would help me on my quest.
Thanks!

#4 Noviciate

Noviciate

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:38 PM

Good evening. :thumbsup:

The best place for further questions is in your original thread, once somebody has replied to it, as we are in danger of having two threads dealing with your infection issues and you may end up following conflicting advice.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 05:52 PM

With the suggestion of Noviciate that we could have conflicting and confusing advice with 2 threads, this one is closed. If after the other thread is resolved and this one needs to be reopened, the Original Poster can PM any staff member to reopen it.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users