Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IS2010 virus and issue with getting rkill to run

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Tyzeras

Tyzeras

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:46 PM

I recently got the Vista IS2010 virus for the first time. I was able to figure out that it was a virus pretty quick when i noticed that it was bringing up a list of supposed infected files and when I used my current antivirus programs(AVAST and Malwarebytes) to scan those same files I didn't get any threat detection. After that I did a couple of quick scans and nothing came up at all using either antivirus programs. So then I proceeded to looking online to figure out just what was wrong with my PC and found out about what it was. Thats when I found out about needing to use RKILL to stop the processes of the virus so that it could be detected. But one problem, Evertime I try to run rkill from my desktop, a command prompt box pops up and says its scanning and to be patient, but less than a second after that a box pops up saying windows doesn't know which program to run the file pev.rkeve with and the box won't go away until I close out the first command prompt box that was stating that it was scanning.

Right after that I disconnected my PC from the net and tried it a few more times using all the differnet versions of rkill from the links, and could not get it to work at all, just the same pop up saying it doesn't know what program to run that file with. And the pop-ups kept coming from IS and I can't update Malwarebytes. So far I haven't had the problems some other have had with the slowed down net, not being able to download and not having task manager and IE work. I decided to put my computer in sleep mode while still disconnected from the net until I get a clear solution to fix it, that way, I won't accidently do something that will mess it up worse(hopefully). But I have even tried to get the rkill to work on another PC that isn't infected(at least to my knowledge, there haven't been any signs) and I still get the same pop up box saying windows doesn't know what program to run the pev.rkeve file with.

So the first thing I need to figure out before I'm able to get rid of this is how to make rkill work so that I can stop the IS2010 long enough to update or find and delete it. I was going to go into the task manager and end the process or process tree of av.exe, but decided not to, because again, I didn't want to risk messing up my PC. But if that might help too, please let me know, and if I need to end it, wether I should just end the process or process tree. I need to get my PC back to normal soon, so I would appreciate any advice as to what I should try next.

Thanks.

Edited by Tyzeras, 05 March 2010 - 01:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users