Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Every 3 weeks to the day - computer creeps

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chasgallo

chasgallo

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:25 PM

Hi,

I have a compaq presario desktop running vista home edition 32 bit.
I have owned this computer for about one year and a half and I have had nothing but issues.
Finally I have documented my troubles (started November 2009), and every three weeks to the day my computer just slows down to a crawl. Then after a day or two, everything is back to normal. In the process (during the slow time), i will reboot a few times (takes 10 - 15 minutes to start up at times), I will boot up in safe mode (thats quick), and then go back to normal mode and it comes up faster, but still creeps. I am in day 1 of my three week cycle. For the first time, last night, once it started creeping, and I did my first shutdown, a black screen appeared quikly, and I noticed something about task scheduler ( I could not read the details because the screen was up and away in seconds), so I am thinking something could be going on in task scheduler, and perhaps every three weeks something runs....but when I look at what is running I just see normal stuff. (system sound service, system task, TMM, and user task).
I really do not know what the heck is going on. I have spent countless hour researching forums and googling issues, but to no avail. As I mentioned, usually within 24 - 48 hours everything is back to normal. But during this time every third week, I am beside myself.
ANY suggestions are appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:13 PM

Sounds to me like you maybe infected with a piece of malware designed to phone home.

#3 chasgallo

chasgallo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:03 PM

I have run about 5 different virus programs and nothing found.

#4 themeat

themeat

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 08:06 PM

I would suggest using the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal tool which you can get here. Or you can try a repair installation of Windows.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 08:59 PM

Did you check Task Scheduler for what's there?
Start>"Start search", type in:
taskschd.msc
Press Enter.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users