Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need To Install Zune on XP sp2

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sonnyboa

sonnyboa

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:09 PM

My client has a Zune 30 GB that he bought at a pawn shop. Asking later and examining the the device for condition, he found an excellent deal. The reason this man became my client was because he caught the dreaded Anti virus 2010 bug and we backed everything up on a terabyte and moved forward with a reformat. :thumbsup: So he doesn't have a valid copy of Windows XP and wishes to stay with the OS, and can not afford to buy a lic. I have the computer up and running with all updates turned off as it will fail WGA. Everything was going fine until we found ourselves at a wall with his Zune. It will not install bc he does not have the latest copy of Windows Installer. I have gone to Microsoft's site to download the latest ver. of Windows Installer, yet this Zune refuses to install! Please help me get my clients Zune working again. I have removed that install of Windows Installer and await your guidance. Oh yeah, the Zune now says to go to Zune.net to update as well.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 foster79

foster79

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:57 AM

What version of the zune desktop are you trying to use?

#3 sunrise2009

sunrise2009

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:01 PM

My client has a Zune 30 GB that he bought at a pawn shop. Asking later and examining the the device for condition, he found an excellent deal. The reason this man became my client was because he caught the dreaded Anti virus 2010 bug and we backed everything up on a terabyte and moved forward with a reformat. :thumbsup: So he doesn't have a valid copy of Windows XP and wishes to stay with the OS, and can not afford to buy a lic. I have the computer up and running with all updates turned off as it will fail WGA. Everything was going fine until we found ourselves at a wall with his Zune. It will not install bc he does not have the latest copy of Windows Installer. I have gone to Microsoft's site to download the latest ver. of Windows Installer, yet this Zune refuses to install! Please help me get my clients Zune working again. I have removed that install of Windows Installer and await your guidance. Oh yeah, the Zune now says to go to Zune.net to update as well.

Hi,

For using Zune, you must have to upgrade his PC to XP SP3, and it is using Media Center 2005, Update Rollup 2. You have stated that his PC is not genuine, so I am afraid that it is impossible.

For SP3 package, you download from Window Update, about the Update Rollup 2, go to this link :
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/Update-Rollup-for-Windows-XP-Media-Center-Edition-2005.shtml

This link is very useful, you would not need to follow the instruction from Microsoft for this one because I have done it before, they have just leaded me running around and asking me to update Window 7, it is impossible!

After doing those two above, you go to Zune.com, download the new package.

The problem here is, he did not have the original CD with that Zune, so how come the PC recognize the USB gate, this one I do not know, mine has it, so I can easily find it.

That's all I have known about the Zune.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users