Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

solved topics?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 kitkin15

kitkin15

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:37 AM

i know that this has to do with the forums, but i thought this would be the best place to put this (not computer help)

when i ask a question and i find out the answer, how do i mark the question solved? im not sure if we are able to do this or not, but i would like to know. i think that if we could do this than it would waste less of our time when were helping someone else

if we can look and se that they have already been helped, we can move to the next person, so i think this would be easy. if we are not able to do this where can i post a suggestion on being able to do this?

thanks =)
Fix everything, if nothing is left to fix than break something.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:48 AM

We have elected not to do that, nor will we close a topic when it has run it's course
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 kitkin15

kitkin15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:48 PM

oh ok, thanks.

i am just woundering, but why did you guys elect not to do it?

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,528 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 04:46 PM

It was a decision based on workload for moderators/staff and member needs.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 08:37 PM

Keeping the old posts available helps others in the future who have run into the same problem. If the original poster finds the solution to the problem somewhere else, it really helps if they post that solution in their thread. That way, not only do people know that it was solved so they do not waste time trying to solve it, it gives someone else the solution for the problem they may have

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 01:02 PM

Along the same as Stang777 has stated. To all; please post back when your problem has been solved and how it was solved. We all can learn when you post back.

#7 kitkin15

kitkin15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 02:24 PM

oh ok, i guess that DOES make sense lol.

thanks everyone =)

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,528 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 02:37 PM

Goes along with this long time pinned topic:

Hello all,

Bleeping Computer is a community where people come together to help one another fix any problem which may arrise on their systems. This is the theme of this site. Help one another, and share your wealth of experience.

I read posts here and I am so glad to see that you have gotten your problems fixed. It shows that the people here are here to help you and the advice was well reported to you.

The problem seems to be that many of you get your problems fixed and you then post back saying:

Ok.. I fixed it (on my own), thanks
The problem got taken care of
or... something else to that nature.

How are other people going to learn from your fixes if you don't post back here what you did to fix your problem? People are always wanting answers, and with posts/replies like above will only make people wonder what you did to fix it.

Please explain EXACTLY as much as possible what you did. It could be a new and informative way to do something that has never been discussed before. Don't just get your own stuff fixed and leave everyone else out in the open. Explain how you fixed it, because people want to know... "Well, how did he do it?"

Don't hold back on information that can help others,,, because the information here has helped you. We've all come here for help, and we aught to provide it in return, even in the form of explaining how you got a problem fixed.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 03:16 PM

That long and no one has ever noticed the typo? :thumbsup:

we aught to provide it

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#10 kitkin15

kitkin15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 02:30 AM

lol, it does make a point though....i know ive fixed problems myself, and not posted how. i wish i had because i could help people out, and also if i run into the problem again, and i dont remember how to fix it than i can look back and find out.

#11 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:50 PM

That long and no one has ever noticed the typo?

Lol Mark, just before I read your post I read that post and noticed the spelling of that word right off and was sitting here wondering if maybe that was just the way they spelled it in some other country or something. Your post let me know that it probably was just a typo, so thanks for stopping me from wondering.

Edited by Stang777, 09 March 2010 - 05:50 PM.

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,528 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:41 PM

Aught, Ought

Pear, Pair, Pare

Kernel, Colonel

Tomatoe, Tomato

Potatoe, Potato

FTR: My spell check says aught and ought are both right in this post. So if spell check was used in the original post it likely never caught it. :thumbsup:

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#13 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 07:04 PM

FTR: My spell check says aught and ought are both right in this post. So if spell check was used in the original post it likely never caught it.

That is because they are both words, however, they do have different meanings. My understanding is that ought is usually used to mean should, as in, duty, obligation or expectation. Aught is usually used as a form of naught or to mean all.

But, that said, it really does not matter because most people are able to figure out what was meant. I was just wondering about it because people here are from different countries and I wondered if it was a regional thing.

Btw, I do not have the program that lets spell check work on this forum but just for the heck of it, I copied the post, pasted it into an email and ran it through AOL's spell check and it was flagged.

Edited by Stang777, 09 March 2010 - 07:11 PM.

#14 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 07:46 PM

OB will set you straight [or is it strait ?] :thumbsup:
Mark
Posted Image

#15 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,528 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:12 PM

Btw, I do not have the program that lets spell check work on this forum but just for the heck of it, I copied the post, pasted it into an email and ran it through AOL's spell check and it was flagged.

My Opera browser spell checks here. If I'm not mistaken I believe Firefox does or at the least has a plugin/addon for it.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users