Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot add network printer through wizard

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RandomSkratch

RandomSkratch

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:19 AM

We recently switched all of our printers to a new print server and had a login script automatically re-map when our users logged out and back in (but this was only temporary, didn't want this script running when it didn't need to be). During the switch over we had both print servers up just in case some people hadn't switched and the other day we turned off the spooler on the old one so everyone would be using the new one, however some people didn't make the switch and found that they could no longer print.

No big deal, I could help them remove the old printers and re-add the new ones on the new server but a strange issue crept up. When I tried to add the new printers through the Add Printer wizard, after double clicking on the printer I would get the following error:

Windows cannot connect to the printer. Either the printer name was typed incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server. For more information, click Help.

If I manually went to the server through run (\\servername) and right-clicked on the printer and selected Connect, it would successfully add the printer.

Why would you be able to add a printer one way and not the other? Is the wizard using a different method?

Very confused...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:30 AM

This could be something to do with DNS.

On the Windows XP boxes that have trouble connecting, how is their DNS Setup?

Are these machines getting their addresses from a DHCP server or are they staticly set?

You may also want to try flushing the DNS on these XP boxes. CMD: ipconfig /flushdns

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 RandomSkratch

RandomSkratch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:39 AM

All of our clients are using DHCP.

Another weird thing is that for people who had the script automatically re-map their printers, they have no issue using the Add Printer Wizard.

I'll try flushing the DNS on one of the affected computers.

-------------------EDIT-------------------------

I just flushed the DNS on one of the computers and it still received the error.

Edited by RandomSkratch, 04 March 2010 - 11:45 AM.

#4 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:27 AM

Just a thought but try setting the WINS server address in DHCP as well.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:30 PM

try using the url of the printer

\\ipaddresshere

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users