Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will this setup work? In theory...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MilesJ

MilesJ

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:05 AM

Hey I'll make this short I need an second opinion on a network, I am working on a project from my class where we need to network a two level office building and a warehouse 1/2 mile away. We cannot use any wireless technology in this project. We came up with using Cat6 in both the warehouse and office building, with Fiber Optic linking the warehouse and office building with stretches 1/2 mile.

Simply put we have the connection coming into the building running into a switch with takes the connection throughout the office via Cat6. Then we have the connection going through a transmitter converting the connection into light traveling the 1/2 mile then passing through a transceiver and another switch connecting the warehouse computers.

For our class it doesn't have to be perfect just if there are any MAJOR flaws please let me know so I can correct them.
Student of Networking & Network Security

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:39 AM

I don't really see any major flaws with it other than the cost associated with having the phone company run your fiber on the poles :thumbsup:

What about internet connections at both locations using VPN to connect them???
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 MilesJ

MilesJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:44 PM

I don't really see any major flaws with it other than the cost associated with having the phone company run your fiber on the poles :thumbsup:

What about internet connections at both locations using VPN to connect them???

Thanks for the quick reply since this is just a project we aren't really doing this our professor said we have no budget just explain why you did what you did. I like the idea of a VPN and will most definitely look into that!

Thanks
Student of Networking & Network Security

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:59 PM

Good Luck with your project.
Techextreme