Thanks for your help. This was his first response:
From your reply, I understand that .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 cannot be installed on the computer. The error code 1603 was received.
This issue can be caused by a damaged .NET Framework component. In order to resolve the issue, we have to remove previous versions of .NET Framework and reinstall .NET Framework 3.5, which contains many new features building incrementally upon .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0, and includes .NET Framework 2.0 service pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.0 service pack 1. Based on its current status, I suggest trying the following troubleshooting steps.
Step 1: Remove the corrupt .NET Framework components
1. Please download the dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip from the following link:http://windowsuu.com/tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip
Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.
2. Unzip the zipped file, and you will get the tool "cleanup_tool.exe".
3. Please double click it and choose Yes to reply.
4. At "Product to cleanup", Choose .NET Framework - All Versions
5. Then Click Cleanup Now.
After removing .NET Framework components, let's reinstall .NET Framework 3.5.
Step 3: Manually downloading and installing Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5
Please note: The size of Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 and .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is a little big. Your patience to download the update is much appreciated.
1. Click the following link:
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 and .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/0.../dotnetfx35.exe
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Family Updatehttp://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...05-0a9c3fbdd20d
2. When the file download window appears, please click "Save", and follow the directions to save it on the Desktop. After downloading the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 setup file on your Desktop, double-click to manually install it.
However, if any error is encountered when installing .NET Framework 3.5, please capture a screenshot of the error message:
How to capture a Screenshot:
1. When the error appears, please press the "Print Screen" key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.
2. Click "Start", click "Run", type MSPAINT, and click "OK".
3. In Paint, click "Paste" under the "Edit" Menu, click "Save" under the "File" menu, type a file name for the screenshot, choose JPEG as "Save as type", click "Desktop" on the left pane, and click "Save".
4. Please find the screenshot on the Desktop and send it as an attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: When attaching files to emails, the process will vary depending on the email application being used. While you are composing the email, most applications will provide you with either an "Attach" button or Paper Clip Icon to click in order to attach a file. After clicking this button/icon you must browse to the file you wish to attach and select it by either double clicking it or clicking it once and then clicking on the "Attach" button.
Please try my suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Microsoft Windows Update Support Professional
From your reply, I understand that updates still cannot be installed.
At this time, please try the following steps to test the issue.
Repair Windows Installer 4.5
1. Press "Start" and choose "Run".
2. Type in "cmd" (without quotation marks) and press "OK".
3. In the command line, type in the following command and press Enter:
4. Then, type in the following command and press Enter:
If the issue persists, please click "Start", click "Control Panel", and click "Add/Remove Programs" to check if Windows Installer entry has been installed. If it has, please highlight and remove it. After that, please reinstall Windows Installer 4.5 from the following link.
Windows Installer 4.5 (Note: Please download the file WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe)http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=ennext
From your reply, I understand that Windows Installer 4.5 cannot be successfully installed.
After checking, I found your system is running 64 bit type. Now, please visit the following link and download the file “Windows6.0-KB942288-v2-x64.msu” to install. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...b9-54d056d6f9f4
If the update still cannot be installed, we can conclude that the issue is caused by the corrupted system files or the incorrect system settings, which is related to the system. If so, I will open a new case and reroute it to the proper channel. It will be handled by a system engineer to ensure that the problem is resolved as quickly as possible. Thank you for your understanding.
If any error is encountered, please capture a screenshot.
Thank you for your time. I await your reply.
I don't have any framework installed right now. that last suggestion he sent gave the error that it was the wrong platform (XP)...what the heck???