Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CANNOT LOAD NET 3.5 FRAMEWORK ON VISTA

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 geno368

geno368

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:25 AM

I have been trying to install the net 3.5 or 4.5 framework in my Vista home premium 64 bit for about 2 weeks. I am trying to install a tax program and it requires it. I have been emailing a microsoft tech and it takes a week to respond back to me. I have tried all 3 of his suggestions without success. The setup just stopps and give a generic 1603 error. Does anyone know where the best support option is for me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:50 AM

I have tried all 3 of his suggestions

What were they, so we don't repeat ourselves?
Is this where you downloaded from?
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/aa569263.aspx
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:04 AM

Thanks for your help. This was his first response:
From your reply, I understand that .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 cannot be installed on the computer. The error code 1603 was received.

This issue can be caused by a damaged .NET Framework component. In order to resolve the issue, we have to remove previous versions of .NET Framework and reinstall .NET Framework 3.5, which contains many new features building incrementally upon .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0, and includes .NET Framework 2.0 service pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.0 service pack 1. Based on its current status, I suggest trying the following troubleshooting steps.

Step 1: Remove the corrupt .NET Framework components

===============================

1. Please download the dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip from the following link:

http://windowsuu.com/tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2. Unzip the zipped file, and you will get the tool "cleanup_tool.exe".

3. Please double click it and choose Yes to reply.

4. At "Product to cleanup", Choose .NET Framework - All Versions

5. Then Click Cleanup Now.

After removing .NET Framework components, let's reinstall .NET Framework 3.5.

Step 3: Manually downloading and installing Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5

=======================================================

Please note: The size of Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 and .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is a little big. Your patience to download the update is much appreciated.

1. Click the following link:

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 and .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/0.../dotnetfx35.exe

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...05-0a9c3fbdd20d

2. When the file download window appears, please click "Save", and follow the directions to save it on the Desktop. After downloading the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 setup file on your Desktop, double-click to manually install it.

However, if any error is encountered when installing .NET Framework 3.5, please capture a screenshot of the error message:

How to capture a Screenshot:

======================

1. When the error appears, please press the "Print Screen" key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2. Click "Start", click "Run", type MSPAINT, and click "OK".

3. In Paint, click "Paste" under the "Edit" Menu, click "Save" under the "File" menu, type a file name for the screenshot, choose JPEG as "Save as type", click "Desktop" on the left pane, and click "Save".

4. Please find the screenshot on the Desktop and send it as an attachment to: v-30mawz@mssupport.microsoft.com.

Note: When attaching files to emails, the process will vary depending on the email application being used. While you are composing the email, most applications will provide you with either an "Attach" button or Paper Clip Icon to click in order to attach a file. After clicking this button/icon you must browse to the file you wish to attach and select it by either double clicking it or clicking it once and then clicking on the "Attach" button.

Please try my suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Mawis Zhong

v-30mawz@mssupport.microsoft.com

Microsoft Windows Update Support Professional

Next

From your reply, I understand that updates still cannot be installed.

At this time, please try the following steps to test the issue.

Repair Windows Installer 4.5

===================

1. Press "Start" and choose "Run".

2. Type in "cmd" (without quotation marks) and press "OK".

3. In the command line, type in the following command and press Enter:

MSIexec /unregister

4. Then, type in the following command and press Enter:

MSIexec /regserver

If the issue persists, please click "Start", click "Control Panel", and click "Add/Remove Programs" to check if Windows Installer entry has been installed. If it has, please highlight and remove it. After that, please reinstall Windows Installer 4.5 from the following link.

Windows Installer 4.5 (Note: Please download the file WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

next

From your reply, I understand that Windows Installer 4.5 cannot be successfully installed.

After checking, I found your system is running 64 bit type. Now, please visit the following link and download the file “Windows6.0-KB942288-v2-x64.msu” to install.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...b9-54d056d6f9f4

If the update still cannot be installed, we can conclude that the issue is caused by the corrupted system files or the incorrect system settings, which is related to the system. If so, I will open a new case and reroute it to the proper channel. It will be handled by a system engineer to ensure that the problem is resolved as quickly as possible. Thank you for your understanding.

If any error is encountered, please capture a screenshot.

Thank you for your time. I await your reply.

I don't have any framework installed right now. that last suggestion he sent gave the error that it was the wrong platform (XP)...what the heck???

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:48 PM

Do you know at what point in the installation the program fails to install?
Besides the tools they had you run, try the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555175

Open the utility and see if there anything there that might cause issues
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:49 AM

I looked at both of the utilities you sent and it states not to use if you have Office 2007, which I do...the other one is not for my platform it states. I am attaching a screenshot of the last stop error..Oh well, I couldn't see how to add the attachment here, so here is most of the info:

Microsoft common language runtime native compiler has stopped working.
problem event=APPCRASH
APP NAME=NGEN.EXE
VERSION=2.0.50727.4016
FAULT MODULE NAME=mscoree.dll

It was also suggested that I may have to do a Vista repair install. Will I lose everything if I do that?
Thanks again.

#6 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:09 AM

You may want to try using the Dot Net cleanup Tool available from this MSDN Weblog. Having had issues with DotNet before I can say that I have used this tool successfully to remove all instances of DotNet and successfully installed DotNet back again.

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:52 PM

With a repair install you should not lose any files, but that is not written in stone
Anything can happen
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users