Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network adapter driver uninstall caused Activated XP Pro to say it needs activation

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GretaLovejoy

GretaLovejoy

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:21 AM

Hi there,

I am in an absolute panic I left my home to pay some bills, Left my PC on (XP Pro service pack 3 PC), It was connected fine to my Comcast Internet connection (Never had any problems before) But when I came home I noticed that the Internet connection icon by my clock had a yellow exclamation point. So I right clicked on it and checked the status...said 0 sent and 0 recieved. Limited or no connectivity. so I reset my Comcast modem...then clicked repair to renew the IP address. Still would not connect so I called Comcast tech support, she had me run ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew...but it isn't getting a propper IP...instead of the IP being 67.171.227.23 like it should, it was getting an IP that started with 169.

The comcast tech said something was wrong with my desktop PC...so just to check that the Comcast modem was fine...I disconnected my desktop and connected my laptop and it connected fine.

I tried updating the ethernet adapter driver...and everything...I even tried uninstalling the adapter or removing it knowing that when I rebooted Windows would find it and I could re-install it. But instead...the found new hardware never came up. Instead... of all things... A window came up saying something about the drivers being changed or something and now it is saying "This copy of Windows is not Activated and that I had 3 days to activate it!!!

OMG!!!! I have had this copy of XP Pro on this PC for years!! Of course it was activated years ago!!

I am just in tears because I am a starving web designer, and am on dissability and can't afford another PC...I lost my XP Pro CD...so I can't do a repair install... My system restore stopped working So I have been real careful to run the great Comodo Firewall and anti virus suite. and run Malwarebytes and Super Anti Spyware regularly to keep it clean. The other day I decided that I was just going to put my desktop online to upload websites and run windows update only and use my laptop to surf the internet and check email istead to protect my desktop by keeping it offline...

So today I just got it online to publish a website...but left it on and online when I left to pay bills and this disaster happened while I was gone

I have irreplacable graphic programs web design programs and websites that I could never replace cuz I don't have the setup files anymore

Please help me...any idea why the adapter just all of a sudden did this and why Windows thinks it's not activated?

This VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter is built into my motherboard, so if it is a adapter harware failure on the motherboard, I was going to disable it...and am hoping that I can install a separate Network adapter PCMCIA network adapter card in my desktop and I can at least connect so I can upload websites that I need to publish....and get it online to run the windows updates at least for now.

But do you know why it is saying that windows has to be activated? I can't get it online to do it. Should I activate it again anyway if I can?.

I am just mortified and don't know what to do I am on my laptop right now writing you. But I have HiJackThis, Super Anti Virus and Combofix on my desktop to generate logs if you need to see them and I can post them with my laptop.

Please help me...what do you want me to do? can you remedy this situation?

I do have a copy of the Recovery Console on my hard drive too if you think something can be done with it to fix this...

I tried safe mode with networking...and last known good configuration but the problem remained. I opened the BIOS and tried loading optimized defaults but no change I didn't try fail safe defaults tho...

What can we do to remedy this?

Anxiously awaiting your response, Thank you,

Greta

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:55 AM

Activation issues are the province of Microsoft...

FWIW: The 169 IP address indicates that DHCP is not working properly.

http://www.pctechbytes.com/network/network...9-IP-Address-11

You could try restarting DHCP:

Click Start and select Run.

Type services.msc in Run and click Ok.

Find DHCP service and right click on it. Click on Stop.

Reboot the computer.

When the computer boots up, click Start and select Run...type the following: netsh int ip reset log.txt

Click Ok.

Louis

#3 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:18 AM

You may also want to reset your Winsock.

To reset Winsock:

You will type:
  • netsh winsock reset sock.log
When the Winsock is finished you will be directed to restart your computer. Type exit in the window and press enter.

From here you will do a normal restart on your computer and retest your network connection.

Can you also give us the manufacturer of your computer or the model number from your motherboard so we can point you to the correct Via Rhine Driver.
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#4 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:39 AM

even replacing the network card should not trigger activation.

If you have a sticker on the computer with an xp license key on it, you can use a borrowed xp media to reload. OEM computers need the oem versions and there are some xp media that must match the key type. (don't post the key code but tell us what else is on the label)

Also note. Comcast in some areas matches the ip to the mac address. Unless you have a switch and pay them for more than one public ip. (67.171.xxx.xxx is a comcast netblock) or your cable modem has NAT built in, the cable modem should not give out an ip address to a MAC address (network card unique address) that is not registered in the system.

Give us a bit more info and we can zero in on the problem.

#5 GretaLovejoy

GretaLovejoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:36 AM

It appears that the motherboard is P4M800-M . there are more numbers do you need them all? I and my roomate built this PC it has an Elite Motherboard. I ran the commands you asked me too but it didn't say DHCP service...it said DHCP Client. Is that the one to stop?

I also typed:

netsh int ip reset log.txt

AND

netsh winsock reset sock.log (But it didn't direct me at all to restart...the window just disapeared and I restarted

But after doing these things...nothing changed:(

last night I went ahead and Activated XP over the phone. It is ok now.

But the Network adapter is still messed up.

The other night I did alot of reading on the internet about it and downloaded what I thought was a driver but nothing changed , but I downloaded some kind of Nic program and ran it but it still does not connect:( what now?

Thanking you in advance for your skilled help,

Greta

#6 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:36 AM

The drivers for your network card are located here ( direct link to download ).

When unzipped, you will find some folders inside. The installation you want is in the X86 folder. Run the Winsetup program and this should install the needed drivers for your Via Rhine network adapter.

You can also update the drivers by going into the control panel and using the Update Driver Wizard and pointing to the X86 folder.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:26 PM

Direct Link to all drivers for your ECS Motherboard.

#8 GretaLovejoy

GretaLovejoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:53 PM

I am so sorry to waste your time:( I can't believe this lol. I had set my Comodo firewall to "Block ALL" temporarily...then I forgot I did so:( so thats why I got the 169 IP and couldn't connect. So if anyone else has this problem witht the 169 IP you might want them to check their firewall.

Thank you for all your time,

Greta

#9 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 06:20 AM

Whoops, it happens.

Happy Computing :thumbsup: