Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer stuck on startup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LauraCah

LauraCah

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:55 AM

I have this weird computer issue on my brother's computer; it's been like this for a long time. Operating system is Vista Home Premium, on an emachine desktop. On startup, the computer loads and asks what mode it should be started it. However, regardless of what I choose, the system gets to the 'Microsoft Corporation' screen with the green loading bar and stays there for about five minutes, then the screen flashes with a hint of pink and we're back at the Emachines screen being asked what mode to start in. Right now, I chose an option to 'load from a disk' and all this did was say 'windows is loading files' then go to a black screen. About a minute later a large arrow pointer appeared. Then about five minutes later the ugly Vista green tye dye pattern showed up behind the pointer. Then, about ten to fifteen minutes after I got the black screen I am at the Windows Vista installer screen (the Vista operating system disk is in cd rom drive). Now, ten minutes later, after clicking a button that says 'install' I am stuck on a Vista tye dye screen with an hourglass pointer and the words 'please wait...'. :/
I do have the windows vista operating system disk, but no other disks for the computer.
I really really would appreciate some help with this because I def. don't have the money to take this in to get repaired, much less for a new computer.
Thanks so so so much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LauraCah

LauraCah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:59 AM

Here's the screen I'm stuck at (except the cursor is an hourglass as opposed to the traditional circular Vista 'loading' cursor):

http://vistasupport.mvps.org/images/instal...%206%20copy.jpg

#3 LauraCah

LauraCah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 04:03 AM

Nevermind guys, fixed it myself. Thanks anyway :]

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:11 PM

What was the resolution?

#5 LauraCah

LauraCah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 03:43 AM

I was able to insert my Vista disk and someone get it to enter the mode of 'boot from disk or dvd' and it took forever (about ten minutes to go from one screen to the next) but it just reinstalled Vista. However, it didn't allow me to upgrade, just reinstall a clean copy so I lost all files and programs.
But that computer was my brother's and didn't have important documents or photos on it so it was a small price to pay for a computer that was broken for months.
I still don't know what the actual problem was that caused the startup problem unfortunately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users