Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overkilled with KillBox

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 phelin

phelin

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:34 AM

Thanks in advance for any help I get.

I started having problems with that damn Antivirus XP 2010 so I started looking for a solution, first every time I opened an application it would start up, if I used task manager to kill it it would also close whatever program I had tried to open. I found a solution to stop it and that was to use KillBox. At first I couldn't locate the av.exe so I got Malwarebytes, I did a quick scan and that showed me the location of the av.exe. Then I used KillBox to delete the file and now I cant use IE it doesn't even show up in start/all programs. Also, I cant use control panel/add or remove programs or add hardware or even Itunes which I need since I have an iphone, also I cant use my nero to burn cd's so i don't know how I'm going to back up any files I need I went to start right clicked my computer and tried to select properties but it said:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
application not found,

When I looked for it it was there but it looks like a blank piece of paper no lines or anything.

Almost everything I try to open asks which program to open it with.

I'm not completely illiterate when it comes to computers so I know what I'm doing but sometimes things happen I don't even know about.

I guess it started a month or so ago when updates were available so I allowed it to update and went to bed when I awoke the next day it was in a continuous reboot cycle so I recovered it and lost a lot of files. Currently I have about 16 gb's of memory its a hp pavilion running Xp dual core sp2 can't update past that because of errors.

I have Hijackthis, defogger, combofix, gmer, malwarebytes, and dds.

If I don't get a response soon I'm just going reformat.

Not to rush anybody but I need this computer for work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:41 AM

Well, to be honest, it could take over a week to get the malware cleaned out, the errors stopped, and things put back the way they were (if it can even be done).

The fastest and easiest thing to do would be a reformat, like you said. You can be back up and running in the matter of a few hours as opposed to a few days.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Good luck, though.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 phelin

phelin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:06 AM

I sure hope there is a better option than reformatting. I plan on reformatting anyways but I have been trying to get my files off first. And then this happened.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:33 AM

To get data off the drive...you can slave it as a secondary drive to a different system...and then move your data files to another partition, drive, folder, etc.

You will not be able to move programs and I would advise you not to move items such as Favorites and Cookies, since these may contribute to your infected status.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 04 March 2010 - 06:53 PM.

#5 phelin

phelin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:48 PM

I just located the av.exe @ C:\!KillBox, it has the app and a Logs Folder, any suggestions? May be if I turn it back on I can regain my full use of my programs until I reformat. I found that I can transfer files with my thumb drive but i don't want to risk transferring the av.exe

#6 phelin

phelin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:29 PM

Well the reformat worked for about 3 days now that dam AV.exe is back.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:29 PM

Did you do a system restore or a complete format?

You need to be more cautious of your browsing habits.

#8 phelin

phelin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:00 PM

I did a full destructive reformat.
I don't browse, I know what I need and I know where to get it.
It may be possible that the antivirus xp was on the extra drive I installed, however I did reformat that one before I used it.
I'm going to try it again

Edited by phelin, 10 March 2010 - 04:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users