Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dropped laptop

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 gsxcargo

gsxcargo

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:58 AM

I dropped my sony VAIO from about a foot and a half while it was on, and when i picked it up, put it on the table it worked fine. When I turned it off and then turned it back on again, it got past the VAOI first screen while making repetitive beeping noises, and then said Operating System not Found.
I think that my hard drive got screwed up, but I didnít really have anything important on it, other than backup homework files that were already handed in.
I was planning on installing windows 7 (im on vista), which would mean that I would have to wipe the hard drive anyways, but I was wondering if I need to fix my hard drive somehow.
If not, can I just run the windows 7 installation disk?
(which raises the question as to how im going to open the cd drive which wont open now)

*first post, sorry if i'm in the wrong area :trumpet:
** and please dont just tell me to take my computer to a shop, i'm scared to tell my parents so i wanna resolve this on my own.... (im not asking for counselling here, which i have recieved on many other sites... :flowers: )

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:19 AM

you can maybe get the data off of it with something along the lines of a ubuntu live disc http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download however, chances are you will need a new hard drive. You can try reinstalling the OS, no garentees it will work. You can also pull the hard drive cover off the bottom of the computer and double check it didnt just get knocked loose to, and I would advise trying both, but my guess is the hard drives shot.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 gsxcargo

gsxcargo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:00 AM

I dont really care about the data on my computer, I didn't really need any of it but thanks anyways.
All that I want to know is whether or not I can just install windows 7 over my dead hard drive, or if I need to buy a new one.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:24 AM

I dropped my sony VAIO from about a foot and a half

Have you tried removing the hard drive and re-seating it?
Same with the memory
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 gsxcargo

gsxcargo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:16 PM

I dropped my sony VAIO from about a foot and a half

Have you tried removing the hard drive and re-seating it?
Same with the memory

no, should I do that?

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:10 PM

I would
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:00 AM

yes try reseating it and the memory. If that doesnt work, your computer may have a utility partition you can access by hitting f12 to bring up the boot menu, and it should say utility partition if it has one (it may not) You maybe able to run a full diagnostic of your hardware that way and possibly find the problem.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#8 gsxcargo

gsxcargo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 06:21 PM

thanks, i tried that but it didn't work. Im going to try pressing the f12 thing now, ill let you know what happens
thanks a lot btw

#9 ArmyofOne

ArmyofOne

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 04:40 PM

Its definately not the end of the world, Hard drives are relatively cheap when compared to a new, somewhere-around-top-of-the-line laptop. I get all of my components and most of my software that has to be paid for through TigerDirect.com. They are fast and cheapest I have found. At one point they had the Upgrade from vista to win7 for like $89.99, i was about to jump on it tho when the price changed.

anywhoo...u can search TD for your make and model of hard drive, and may even be able to upgrade to a bigger one in the process!
KILL WINDOWS VISTA!!!
2010 ASUStek K50I-RBBGR05 Notebook-Win 7, 4gb Ram (upgraded), Intel Pentium T4400 @2.2ghz
2007 Gateway MT3707 Notebook-Vista SP2, 1gb Ram, Intel Pentium D/C T2060 @ 1.60ghz, CONSTANT problems.
2005 Toshiba Satellite A105-WinXP Home, 1gb Ram (upgraded), Intel Celeron M @1.60ghz, Not a problem yet.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:54 PM

Do you hear a clanking sound?

#11 gsxcargo

gsxcargo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:54 AM

Do you hear a clanking sound?

not really a clanking, but a beep that goes high beep low short beep repeat.
I tried installing windows xp corporate,
but then it says error after installing a bunch of drivers and stuff and it says to check your hardrive for viruses and such
should i try installing a harddrive from another laptop, or should I just buy another one?

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:07 AM

I would try replacing the hard drive.

#13 gsxcargo

gsxcargo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:32 PM

I would try replacing the hard drive.

my dad wants to get it diagnosed for like $40.00... waste of money in my opinion

can i try putting in a currently being used harddrive from another laptop?

#14 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:43 PM

if "currently being used harddrive" has windows installed it is not likely to boot unless it came from the exact same laptop with the exact same specs. you need a blank hard drive or one you can partition and format to reinstall the OS.

does sony provide any diagnostic programs at their website ?

i can't even get the manual on that site for the vaio i bought for my daughter two months ago !!!

Edited by caperdog, 14 June 2010 - 08:03 PM.

#15 gsxcargo

gsxcargo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:02 AM

thanks
and not any that i could find, let alone a phone number to phone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users