Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp shutting down

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 carole

carole

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 09 September 2005 - 04:06 PM

My xp system had begun to shut down after runnig for approx 5 mins after booting up. I formatted the hard drive after I had run every system checker in the book and found nothing.
I cannot reinstall xp as it keeps telling me a .sif file is missing or corrupted. I have managed to install a copy of 98 and low and behold the blasted thing is shutting down on me again.
ANY ideas would be great cos computer is about to have its first flying lesson out of flat window.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2005 - 05:09 PM

First thing that comes to mind is overheating. Are fans running, clear of obstructions, not too much dust in case?

Try motherboard monitor to get an idea of temperature

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_desc...fid,7309,00.asp

#3 carole

carole
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2005 - 11:09 AM

thank u its not the first time this has been suggested to me will try it

0 user(s) are reading this topic