Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Repair/ your opinion please>

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:09 PM

Okay well to say the least I have been working under the hood of computers for 6 years now, I love it because every time there is new issues that arise.

Many people have asked me for help with fixing their computer etc. and I have I started 5 Months ago. I have been doing it as a side job, but demand is calling me to pursue this full time. I have won several small business and expanding fast on individuals and families.

Tis the leap of FAITH I want to do it.

Should I start my own repair business?

I will be 100% mobile do cause I can't afford a shop.

I am afraid because if it suddenly goes bad what am I to do?

How do I advertise myself?, it seems that there is a spot on every corner how do you compete against it?

I am 22yrs and I want to do it I just don't know how will I legally defend myself incase of a mishap?

What do you do when you got bad customers(I guess send-em to your rival)?

What should I look for? What advice to help me avoid some road-blocks?

Man this just clicks in my head I hope I can get some people that have been hustling doing this.
Its a great opportunity I want to take the leap, but the risk makes me feel like I can't, but I now I can.
Well thanks for your Replies have a Great Life.. :thumbsup:

Edited by JUICYboy, 03 March 2010 - 11:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:18 AM

your going to need some start up costs, a professional looking web page, and good advertising. Newspaper, maybe local radio station, and time to do it. Business cards are great-carry them with you everywhere, if someone mentions theyre having computer issues or thinking something computer tell them what you do and give them a card. . . advertising is a must, but so is being a professional. :thumbsup:

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 JUICYboy

JUICYboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:28 AM

I will do that, thanks

I was thinking as well as giving Discounts for

College Students, and Seniors. Maybe $10 or something is that a good Idea?

#4 subtropical

subtropical

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:48 PM

Magnet signs on your cars.

Be sure park your car where the sign will be seen.

Give away some of your work. Your name will get out. Our church has a fund raising auction every year on donated items, thinking of donating two one hour service calls.

Once you get a customer let them advertise for you via referal bonuses.

Edited by subtropical, 04 March 2010 - 01:53 PM.

:-)

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:08 PM

Always do the right thing for your customers, no matter what!
That has always been my business philosophy

Always tell them the truth, even if it is not good news.

I have always done flat fee service rates. Personally, I think it is wrong in tech support buiness to charge by the hour, especially rates of $75 - $100 per hour. People cannot afford that

Remembere that you are building a client base by earning peoples respect.
Always treat your customers like you would want to be treated.

Starting a business can be rough in this economy.
If you are not scared about it you are doing something wrong!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 JUICYboy

JUICYboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 04:18 PM

Goossh Guys Thank-you sooo much for the advise.

And Mr.Eyesee :flowers: I have followed that instruction its in my moral code of doing buisness as well.

I charge by what has to be done and I explain what is wrong and If I can't do it I come out with the truth.

I will save enough to buy a VolksWaggen Bettle you know the OLD ones that run on $60 of gas a MONTH.

And finish my website. I will go to colloges and donate some of my time so they can come and ask me questions as I will do that in church as well.

Thank-you for all of your help I feel more courage than at my first post.

I will keep you guys posted on how it goes.

God Bless ya :thumbsup:

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:51 PM

Dont forget to keep track of all your business mileage.
Its tax deductible in the US at a rate of 50.5 cents per mile.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#8 bippes

bippes

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:01 PM

I have spent a number of years in advertising and business development and thought I would add my 2 cents worth:

I have worked with people starting up their own tech companies and it can be tough, I have seen many fail and there is seemingly always a pattern of overhead increaseing faster than revenue. I am not sure that on a small budget that traditional advertising is the way to go. The frequency ( number of ads run in a given time frame) required for electronic media can be costly, but all media are looking to sell webspace, web ads and they can be very creative in plaxement and content. your local station ragio or tv station will be hungry to help, just make sure and negotiate aggresively they like tech heads.

Networking locally works great BNI club or social orgs work great. I reccomend specializing aim at the senior market go to senior events, ask the local Assisted living community or retirment village if you could present helpful IT stuff. They will eat it up and if you treat them as reccomended in an earlier post you will get business. You might start out just looking for business from individuals and then find that you get great referrals to local small business.

Good Luck Go slow and watch the overhead :thumbsup: :flowers:

#9 JUICYboy

JUICYboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:14 PM

Thanks I decided to go for ii.

@bippes>what do you mean by overhead?
Thank-you for taking time to help me in this new Venture I will take.

#10 bippes

bippes

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:04 AM

By overhead I mean the costs to you in starting and maintaining a business. Do I need brick and mortar an ofice space or out of my home. Advertising budget? Utilities, Business license, insurance, There are a lot of costs that can get out of control. Try to figure out a good model for your business and start as cheap as possible. If business grows some of your overhead can grow with it. Just take your time, concentrate on what u do best.
Hope that makes sense
:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users