Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the master file table (MFT) bitmap.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dias Web Design

Dias Web Design

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:17 PM

I have multiple systems with the message below. I have ran chkdsk c: /f and Chkdsk c: /f /r to no success. I have ran diagnostics on all the machines and have no problems with hardware. I have ran several thirdparty defrag utilites to defrag the MFT but they didn;t work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Index verification completed.
CHKDSK is recovering lost files.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
Security descriptor verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
master file table (MFT) bitmap.
Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
Windows found problems with the file system.
Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these.

74067682 KB total disk space.
22085856 KB in 70292 files.
26812 KB in 9683 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
311034 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
51643980 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
18516920 total allocation units on disk.
12910995 allocation units available on disk.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:27 AM

I would interpret that...as a warning that the NTFS file system has problems which may not be capable of being overcome by chkdsk /r.

I personally know of no other utility for correcting MFT problems, never had to search for one.

I would run chkdsk /r on the partition first.

If you still get the error message indicating that problems still exist...I would move all data files from that partition, in anticipation of a need to delete the partition and create it anew.

I would also run the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic on the drive, based on the premise that the hard drive itself could be the reason for the NTFS file system problem.

Somewhat related, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303079 AND http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831374

Louis

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:57 AM

I would just contribute this additional information about chkdsk after answering the same questions many times:

Here is some more info on chkdsk I came up with trying to understand why somebody's chkdsk kept reporting different things, sometimes nothing and sometimes different things.

If you run chkdsk from a command prompt while Windows is running, it may report errors or it may not report errors and it may report different errors each time you run it.

Here is how Microsoft explains this observation:

...CHKDSK may report that a disk is corrupted even when there is no
real corruption present. This can happen if NTFS happens to modify
areas of the disk on behalf of some program activity that CHKDSK is
examining at the same time. To verify a volume correctly, the volume
must be in a static state, and the only way to guarantee that state is
to lock the volume. CHKDSK only locks the volume when /F or /R (which
implies "F") is specified. Thus, you may need to run CHKDSK more than
once to get it to complete all stages in read-only mode.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/187941

So if you are running chkdsk from a command prompt in XP, you are not in the static state required and you may see errors "when no real corruption is present".

Two ways to be sure you are in a static state is to run chkdsk from the Recovery Console or to schedule a chkdsk to run the next time the system restarts by appropriately answering the question:

Would you like this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?

If chkdsk reports any errors while running in a static state, the errors should be investigated, resolved or explained. It may take multiple executions for chkdsk to resolve all issues and some issues may not be resolved by chkdsk. I would not discount any other errors, but I will always run in a static state if things look the least bit peculiar.

If chkdsk runs the next time the system is rebooted on restart, the activity and result will show up in the Application Event Log. Look in the Application log for events sourced by Winlogon and that have the date and time close to the time chkdsk was run for the results.

I'll throw in Page Defrag to add to the chkdsk understanding in case those kinds of questions ever come up:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb897426.aspx

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users