Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My friend can't get her router to work.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kris99

Kris99

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:39 PM

I'm posting this of a friend. She just bought a Netgear router wireless G from staples. When she tries to install it it asks her for the DNS sever. She doesn't know where it is or what it is. She even try to by pass that step and it wont let her. She has verizon DSL. I'm sorry that I don't have any model numbers on them or other info.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:26 PM

well DNS stands for DOMAIN NAME SYSTEM and I don't know why its asking you for it unless you have a website hosted of one of the computers>

When you open the software have you hard-wired the network appropriately?

If you have are you setting up the Network with the Ethernet Wire connected to the router?

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:21 PM

If your friend is running through the setup wizard that came with the netgear tell her to stop. Its not needed.

What is she trying to do with the router? I am asking because most modern DSL modems have a router built in and a majority of them have wireless as well.

If you can get the make and model of both the DSL modem and Netgear router will make it easier to answer.

If it is just a modem, then she can just plug the DSL modem into the WAN/internet port on the router, plug her PC into one of the ports on the back and reboot. She'll be connected.

If its a modem/router, there are a few more steps to do but are rather easy.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users