Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problem with wireless internet connection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mistuhw00

mistuhw00

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:17 PM

hi. my netbook's been acting weird the past few days, occasionally failing to load internet websites.
(i'm on my desktop now, by the way)
it's been on and off, so I didn't make much of it. when I ran the windows diagnostic program,
it said something about a winsock error and that I had to restart my computer to fully fix the problem.
several days after this problem, the internet wouldn't work again. i ran the diagnostic program again,
and this time it said that the firewall setting on certain ports were stopping me from properly accessing
the internet. i decided to turn all firewalls off (besides the default windows firewall) and try again.
this time it said that the ports were still somehow blocked, but it stated that the firewalls were not the source
of the problem. it also told me to contact my ISP for assistance. but i assumed that the problem was in my netbook, because my desktop had no trouble accessing the internet. I tried resetting my router, and tried other common solutions. all failed. what's going on? i tried to access the internet 10 minutes ago, and it's still "connecting". no loading messages,
no bars, nothing. just the menu up top, and the address bar. not even toolbars. is it because of a setting? or malware?
please help. thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:35 PM

what kind of netbook do you have? brand and model.

When winsock gets ugly often there are other reasons than malware, but you should assume now that it is something that will probably cause you to reload the OS.

So back up your stuff, make sure you have access to a usb dvd drive and a usb key and locate the recovery disks you made when the computer was new.

If the connection is wireless, check and see if your wired connection does the same thing.

Turn your firewall back on and try to run malwarebytes antimalware scan.

If you find something make a note of where the log file is saved and we can see if you need to post your problem in the "am I infected" forum.

http://malwarebytes.org/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users