Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A bunch of internet apps stopped working at once, but can still browse.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 SMcGrath

SMcGrath

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:48 PM

EDIT: Well, a little more hunting on the net, and I found the issue. During either the attack or the fix, IE's Lan settings had been set to proxy server being checked. Following a friend's instructions, I unchecked the box, restarted IE, and everything was fixed. So please close down this topic unless you have any follow up suggestions or ideas. Honestly, I don't even USE IE except as a backup. What a sneaky virus.
++--------------------------------------------++

First off, I would like to apologize. I have had assistance from your forums before, and once my computer was running, I set to work on the tasks that had backed up while my computer was down. Like the ingrate I was, thanking you fell behind catching up on work. So I would like to thank you now for past help, and thank you in advance for anything we're able to accomplish this time around.
---
Currently, my computer is having limited connectivity issues. For instance, my browser Firefox (3.6) is working fine, but IE (8.0.6001.18702) experiences a 'cannot display web page'. Also a number of applications, specifically Windows Live Messenger (14.0.8089.726), Yahoo Messenger (9.0.0.2162), Steam news server (v009), and World of Warcraft news and patch servers have all stopped connecting.

To give some background, I had recently ousted the Antisoft Virus while following the directions listed here( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...-antivirus-soft ) Afterwords, I noticed that somehow my windows updater (XP Pro) had been turned off. For how long, I can't say. I turned it on to find that I had a lot of updates, including Service pack 3. After finishing an onslaught of backdated updates, I would get a new one trickling in almost every day for the next week. It was soon after I found that I was unable to connect to YIM, WIM, or the World of Warcraft login news server (but the game was working fine). I don't use my messenger programs that often, and it's normal for a news server for the online games to go down occasionally. But thinking back, they all stopped working around the same time, so I'm thinking it goes beyond the applications themselves.

Steps I've taken were checking my Windows Firewall, and I even went so far as to turn the thing off completely and restart, but that changed nothing. I've checked to make sure of my FTP HTTP and HTTPS port settings, per a thread in one of the application's forums, and those were already set accordingly. So now I'm out of ideas on what to check.

I hope I've provided the necessary information to start us out without providing too much unnecessary junk. I look forward to whatever assistance you can provide, and am ready to provide any information you request. Hardware has not changed since last time, if that saves any steps.

Edited by SMcGrath, 03 March 2010 - 09:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users