Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anybody Still Use Windows 2000

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 DJboutit

DJboutit

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:47 PM

I love windows 2000 all the newer versions of windows to me suck I plant to get a new computer in the near future I am will be running windows 2000 plz do not try to get me to swtich. I am just wonder how many people still run windows 2000 here???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 skiplc

skiplc

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:34 PM

I run W2k on 4 machines either as stand alone os or part of dual/triple boot systems.

#3 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:41 PM

Well this One Old Guy I know Does.

I just Thinks it is 2 SLOOOOOOW :huh: on his computer, and its not really good handling all of the different new Video's HTML'S and applications.

But other than that it is very straight forward O.S.

I give it a 6 out of 10. :thumbsup:

#4 Freddie3782

Freddie3782

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:46 PM

I just installed Win 2000 on a old Toshiba Tecra8100 with a Pentium II. Its been in my closet for years. I recently got a Disk to reinstall it. its running good. Reminds me of when I first got it. It was my first PC. It suck to know that microsoft is not giving support for this OS. They should make it a free OS. To compete with Linux free OS. Allow the users to supply support. Make it a Open Source Software.
Does any one know any cool tips or tricks about 2000?

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:46 PM

Windows 2000 is getting up there... if you're feeling brave, take a look at ReactOS.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:59 PM

Make it a Open Source Software.

Well the issue with that statement is that some of the technology in Win2K is present in Windows XP since they are based off the same Kernel. It would cripple XP.

#7 aceflamingo23

aceflamingo23

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:43 AM

I do I have a laptop withit on it.

#8 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 27 March 2010 - 06:23 AM

My desktop computer at work runs Win 2K and up until 2 months ago my work laptop was running Win 2K. Win 2K is still a workable OS but I prefer XP and Win 7.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#9 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:40 AM

I'm still running win2k prof on my Sony GXR600 laptop, which I'm using right now. If I ever have the time to put my compuzone mini-tower w/ the athlon xp cpu & dragon mobo back together, I'll be running it on that too.

According to Mr. Ferri, Win2K is more secure than xp because you can bypass the administrator's pw on xp using win2k"s recovery console. I hope they fixed that little flaw in win 7, about which I know nothing.

The link to React OS was interesting. My question is - can they build an OS that is binary compatible w/ windows and leave out all the security holes? I'd love that.

Edited by Andrew, 20 April 2010 - 03:29 PM.
Mod Edit: Removed Link To Instructions for bypassing Windows passwords - AA

mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

#10 lehua768

lehua768

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:36 AM

I just installed Win 2000 on a old Toshiba Tecra8100 with a Pentium II. Its been in my closet for years. I recently got a Disk to reinstall it. its running good. Reminds me of when I first got it. It was my first PC. It suck to know that microsoft is not giving support for this OS. They should make it a free OS. To compete with Linux free OS. Allow the users to supply support. Make it a Open Source Software.

#11 THRiLL KiLL

THRiLL KiLL

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:27 AM

got to love the disguised spam!

I still use windows 2000 for file servers.. its a lightweight os that doesnt take a ton of resources.

Edited by THRiLL KiLL, 22 April 2010 - 10:28 AM.

#12 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 05:14 PM

I love windows 2000 all the newer versions of windows to me suck I plant to get a new computer in the near future I am will be running windows 2000 plz do not try to get me to swtich. I am just wonder how many people still run windows 2000 here???

good luck on installing on a new computer ,if you mean brand NEW,and not just new to you ,you may have problem getting drivers for most of the devices /chipset, ect ect and such on the new computer ,in my opinion

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#13 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:06 PM

It would cripple XP.

And the problem with THAT is? LOL

Can we not safely say that XP is the most widely hacked OS in the history of personal computers?

Edited by DeathStalker, 23 April 2010 - 11:06 PM.

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:04 PM

It would cripple XP.

And the problem with THAT is? LOL

Can we not safely say that XP is the most widely hacked OS in the history of personal computers?

The problem with that is most people are unwilling to switch to Vista or Windows 7, due to the cost of upgrading their existing computers. Many companies and non-profits still use Windows XP exclusively for their offices and employees.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users