Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

In what sequential order do I clean up an infectious computer?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 techedumbdumb

techedumbdumb

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:50 PM

I have read through the spyware removal topic and followed as many steps as I could (got to step 8 and then was stopped) and I have read all the links under that tab as well. There seems to be no way to clean off a heavily infected computer if that said computer cannot get online to download programs or even complete tasks I ask of it in order to clean it out. I do not have reinstallation disks for Win XP Pro and I'm not a giver-upper (just yet) I just want to proceed step by step to get it clean enough that it can get online to download all the microsoft updates. The current version of XP Pro is 2002. It never received a single update (because my house is full of idiots that didn't know you had to do that stuff) and the computer was used for a few years, unprotected, by a teenageer that like AIM software and MySpace and Club Penguin. All programs I hear that download horrible things to a computer.

Does anyone have any other suggestions to what order I can begin the cleaning up process? I'm at a standstill due to not being able to get online with this infected computer. I did download Avast 5.0 free version to my flash drive and I sucessfully installed that a few hours ago. It's been running SUPER slow for the last three hours or more and has found I infected file so far and it's only at 33% of a full scan completion. Does this sound right to anyone. I would assume it doesn't take that long to run a full scan.

DO you think I could also download service packs form Microsoft onto the flash drive and then download those onto the infected computer? Would that be a way around needing update.microsoft.com to find all thecritical updates for me or am I not using my pea-brain today?

Above, when I mentioned I tried the spyware removal guides steps and only got to step 8, I meant that the steps in the instructions weren't condusive to what MY system was actually performing so at the end of step 8 I was not allowed to save teh rootkit scan report in order to post it for everyone to see to get my started on helping me. My computer couldn't DO that step for some reason. I also can't get online with the infected computer because, A: it's super slow to process a thought and 2: it shuts down after I try to change the webpage from it's home page. So basically I couldn't get the GMER log completed for you guys to help me with. Any other ideas form all of you?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 08:16 PM

You have an active DDS topic posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Removal Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the Malware Removal Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the Malware Removal Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Removal Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another Malware Removal Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users