Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recorded TV Folder

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:53 PM

I have setup a Library named "Recorded TV"
When i click on Recorded TV in the start menu, the location opens to this
(i have circled in red the location), even though that i have set the folder save location to C:\Users\Derek and Tiena
Posted Image

My Other Libraries, such as Documents, Open up under the Library list (again circled in Red)
Posted Image
Also, the other libraries don't list the file location at the top, as the Recorded TV, below the green library title. I want to remove this from the Recorded TV. I cannot seem to figure out how.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:22 PM

I'm sorry, I don't fully understand what your problem is and what you want accomplished. Could you please restate your problem? Do you want to remove the "C:\Users\Derek and Tiena" entry from the Recorded TV Library?

Working with Libraries is very easy. When you have an Explorer window open, click Libraries in the left pane. Now, inside the main window, right-click the Library you want to modify. Click Properties. From this Properties window, you can edit what is included in the Library and what is not. It's very intuitive.

If you want to get rid of the file location at the top that you mentioned, simply do this: right-click in the empty space of the window and hover over "Group by". Select "None" from this secondary menu. This will remove the grouping by file location.

I'm not sure if that is exactly what you were after, but perhaps I will be better able to assist after I get a clearer picture of what it is you're wanting to do. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:57 PM

thanks for the pointer about removing the file listing. That was a no brainier. I just had sort of a brain fart.

What i wanting to do is when you open the start menu and click on "Recorded TV", that from above is the screen shot from it. The red circle of what i made is where it currently opens at. The Recorded TV option is not there by default, i go under the start menu settings and click customize and then "Display as a link"

here is a screen shot of it now, i have include the whole window of how it appears, Notice thta the Local Disk C: drive is currently highlighted.
Posted Image

Now i have set up that i am not using the Public folders. I am using the "Derek and Tiena" folders.
Where it says "Includes: 1 location, have set it as C:\Derek and Tiena\My Recorded TV
Posted Image

When click on the Recorded TV after Windows Exploer has been open, it jumps to the location of where i want them. When i say "location" i mean where i want then saved. Normally i dont mess with anything that is under Computer. I just want to click around the Library listing.
Posted Image

Just like the Documents folder, when i open it from the start menu, it jumps right to the "Documents" listed under the library list. Somehow the default link to open from the start menu still takes me to the public folders for the Recorded TV.

Edited by Derek Ellis, 03 March 2010 - 04:32 PM.

#4 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:06 PM

Here is more to what i am trying to explain

Here is a screen shot taken from the start menu, and then right clicking on the Recorded TV link, select properties and then General Tab.
The location is listed C:\Users\Public\Libraries. I am wanting to change this, but i cannot seem to figure out how.

Posted Image

Edited by Derek Ellis, 03 March 2010 - 04:08 PM.

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:41 PM

Okay, I think I understand what the problem is. You want the "Recorded TV" Library accessed from the Start Menu to go to your "Recorded TV" Library instead of the one in the Public folder? Correct?

I think we can fix that.

Hmm...give me a few minutes on this. I thought I had your solution at first, but I'm still figuring it out.

Thanks for your patience. :huh:

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:24 PM

Well, after some fiddling, I don't think you can change the actual location of this Library. You can change what is included in it. And if you use Windows Media Player to record your shows, I'm pretty sure you can change the default saved location.

So, if you wanted to save your shows in this folder:

C:\Users\Derek and Tiena\My Recorded TV

simply include this folder in the Public Recorded TV Library, and whenever you click the Recorded TV link in the Start Menu, it will be as if you are actually in that folder (C:\Users\Derek and Tiena\My Recorded TV) and you will be able to see all the things you saved in it. The files are not actually in the Library, they are just "included" there. That's the dynamic of Libraries in Windows 7.

I'm not sure if that satisfies what you were trying to do, but I don't really have any other options. Like I said, you can't change the location of that Library (the one accessed from the Start Menu).

You can make a Library in the left pane called "My Recorded TV", and all you have to do is simply include the same folder that you did in the Public one and the same effect will be achieved. I know it seems like a round-about way of doing things, but I really don't know any other way. You will be able to access those files the same whether you go through the Start Menu or through the Library list in the left pane. See what I mean?

Is this anywhere close to solving your problem? I'm pretty sure it wasn't what you were expecting, but, then again, it wasn't what I was expecting either. :huh:

#7 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:22 PM

Here is a video of what i am trying to do. Hopefully this explains it a little better.
Nothing here is "wrong" or "broke" or not working, its just that i have OCD (or at least the wife says so!) that i like to have everything i use work the same way
I know that most of the text here is a little blurry, as i tried to read what was on the screen.
I might sound a little winded or wispy, cause i just now getting over a headcold. yuck!

Edited by Derek Ellis, 03 March 2010 - 09:32 PM.

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:56 PM

I know exactly what you are wanting to do. I do not know that you can do that. As far as I know, you cannot force the Start Menu's "Recorded TV" link to go to your "Recorded TV" Library instead of the one in the Public folder.

But like I said, it is irrelevant. As long as you save your TV recordings in that "C:\Users\Derek and Tiena\My Recorded TV" folder and include it in both Libraries (the Public one and the one under your account), you can access it regardless. Understand? Whatever is in that folder will show up in both Libraries whether you go through the Start Menu or the left pane Libraries.

I know you want it to "work" just so, but you'll just have to be satisfied with the way it is. You can't reverse engineer Windows. :huh:

#9 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:03 PM

yeah I know...sometimes my wife tells me that i curse more at the computer than i do to people.

sorta off topic, i dont have any TV files yet. I dont have any service. I think i need a better anntenna, because i cant pickup a signal with it. I do the same thing with my Converter box (remember that fiasco last year? i got one), which is connected to my acutal TV and no signal either. I cant afford Comcast (who can anyways?) and AT&T U-Verse my landlord wont let me isntall yet, and he wont let me install a DirectTV dish either.

Reverse Engineer windows? There are some out there that try!

Edited by Derek Ellis, 03 March 2010 - 10:13 PM.

#10 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:27 PM

Haha...too true. :huh:

Yeah, I don't have any recorded tv on my computer either. I can watch Internet TV in Windows Media Player, but I can't save any of it. :inlove: Not that I have time to watch TV anyway. :huh: College life..... *sigh*

Well, it is technically possible, but obviously illegal. :thumbup2:

#11 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:26 PM

opps...wrong post to thread.

Edited by Derek Ellis, 05 March 2010 - 02:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users