Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Workstation or Gaming Card?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Poll: Workstation, Gaming, or Mod? (1 member(s) have cast votes)

See Thread

1. Workstation Card (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Gaming Card (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Gaming Card + SoftMod (1 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 bigalexe

bigalexe

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:07 PM

SITUATION:
I am looking at upgrading an old workstation caliber machine (which is no longer workstation caliber) for the purpose of CAD (Solidworks) design. The end goal is to have the machine run dual monitors, Solidworks (up to 3 files at a time), Email Client, and occasional light web-browsing (no gaming/java/streaming music) without crashing.

The upgrade involves maxing the memory to 4GB from 1GB and swapping to a newer/better video card. I am extremely limited in my video card choices by the fact that the machine has a grand total of 1 PCI Express x16 Slot capable of supplying up to 150 watts. The machine currently has an Nvidia Quadro NVS 285 installed. I should also mention the machine has an Intel Pentium 4 CPU but that is staying, just not enough power in an upgrade to justify it.

QUESTION:
Given the limited choices I have and considering the purpose of the machine should I:

A.) Go the route of installing a newer Nvidia QuadroFX Card and pay the high price for the drivers and support?
Such as this Nvidia NVS 420 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814133258

B.) Go the route of a gaming card, leave the drivers as is and just go with it?
Such as this Nvidia 8600GT http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814143112

C.) Go the route of the gaming card and soft-mod the drivers myself.

I am hoping to avoid going the route of "buy new computer."

Lastly I do not have an unbreakable affinity for Nvidia Chipsets or Newegg.com, I just wanted to get some examples quick. Feel free to suggest other retailers and manufacturers.
AMD Phenom II X6 2.8ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
XFX ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB DDR5, 26" Widescreen HDMI
500GB + 80GB HDD
Windows 7 Pro, Mozilla Firefox, AutoCAD 2011, Solidworks 2009
1/19/2012

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:52 AM

Given what you intend to do with it, you might as well bite the bullet and spend the big bucks
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:06 PM

I would also say get the Quadro. I would also put the best proccessor in you can get for it as well. Mainly because with the setup at this point that is your main bottleneck point and it will actually hamper your new card from doing the best it can.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users