Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Processor Shoots to 0% or 100%, Compute Freezes

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 GoHard24

GoHard24

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:26 PM

I am an above average computer user and gamer. I built my own computer in October and everything has worked flawlessly from October-February.

Recently my computer has started freezing. First there is a brief pause, followed by some lag, and then everything freezes for about 10-20 seconds. After the freeze everything works perfectly again. After watching the task manager during the freeze, I've noticed two different scenarios. Right before the computer freezes, the % of processor used goes to 100% or more commonly 0%.

I have an Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Here are a few examples of what is going on, taken right after the computer unfreezes.

Software, Hardware, Bios, Chipset, Overheating?

I have tried reformatting and nothing changed. There are no common programs open and running at the time the computer freezes.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated,
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:34 PM

Right before the computer freezes, the % of processor used goes to 100% or more commonly 0%.

I don't understand. Is it 100%, or 0%?
If you look at CPU usage in Task Manager can you identify, which process is the main CPU user?

Download, and install SpeedFan: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
Post your computer temperatures:

Posted Image

Provide processor info (hold Windows logo key, and hit Pause/Break key to find out).

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 GoHard24

GoHard24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:13 PM

Posted ImagePosted Image

That's what doesn't make sense to me. Sometimes it spikes to 100% like some of the first screenshots, and sometimes it falls to 0% like in the two above.

Posted Image

Nothing out of the ordinary while the computer is stable. I'll watch what happens with the temperatures when the computer freezes. I just assumed it probably wasn't overheating because it seems like it'd have done it in the first 5 months as well, but we'll see.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:20 PM

If you look at CPU usage in Task Manager can you identify, which process is the main CPU user?

I apologize for not being clear here. I wanted you to click on "Processes" tab and there watch "CPU" column.

I'll watch what happens with the temperatures when the computer freezes.

That's it, plus watch that "CPU" column at the same time.

Are you doing anything in particular, when computer freezes?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 GoHard24

GoHard24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:27 PM

I apologize for not being clear here. I wanted you to click on "Processes" tab and there watch "CPU" column.

That's the first thing I did when it started happening. Nothing unusual there and they remain consistent before/during/after it freezes.

Are you doing anything in particular, when computer freezes?

Nothing particular. Quite a bit of the time I'm playing a high graphic demanding game, but it has occurred several other times with just a browser open or chat program.

Posted Image

The computer didn't freeze or twitch, but I noticed the temps get quite warm. Right when they got up there, I could hear the fan speed up until it cooled down.

Is that normal or should the fans be preventing the temps from ever getting that high in the first place?

Edited by GoHard24, 03 March 2010 - 02:31 PM.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:30 PM

It doesn't look good. What programs are you running at the moment?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:32 PM

Max temp for your processor is listed at 72.7C; http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i5/Inte...05I5750%29.html

My Website

p4433470.gif

#8 GoHard24

GoHard24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:39 PM

Ventrilo
AIM
Firefox
Aion

12% of CPU

Edited by GoHard24, 03 March 2010 - 02:39 PM.

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:43 PM

12% of CPU

Pretty fair.

You may try to run some "heating up" program, like video conversion, or video burning and see how the temps are.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:04 PM

What video card do you have?

#11 GoHard24

GoHard24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:47 PM

SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:25 PM

Do you have Catalyst Control Center installed?

#13 GoHard24

GoHard24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 04:45 PM

Do you have Catalyst Control Center installed?

Yes I do.

This is getting more and more annoying. I wish I could at least figure out what the problem is. After running that CPU heat temp I've noticed it gets quite hot at times, but it seems to be a deception. When it brings up the fire icon, the temp is only a couple of degrees over the normal temp and right when it gets that warm, I can hear the fans RPMs speed up.

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 04:49 PM

Remove Catalyst Control Center.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users