Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello out there

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Really Old

Really Old

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:02 AM

Just a note to say hello and introduce myself. I'm using the name Really Old because that's how I feel dealing with the young people I meet.

I started in the design and manufacture of computers back in the late 1950s, working on the Atlas and Orion machines in the UK. In the mid 1960s I moved to Canada and began designing systems that used computers. I also began to use computers during the design phase.
I well remember buying the HP 21MX series for some design activities. (It drove our IT people nuts. Computing was their business, I should get them to do all such work!) It had 8K of memory, later we had to increase it to 16K. We had 6 terminals, displays/keyboards. One of my people wrote the programs, including a word-processing program. It saved us over $100,000 on the project. I never again had a problem extending the use of computers in the design process.

In my time I have seen many changes, from transistors to the new micro-chips, and from programming in assembly language (using punched cards) through Fortran to all the new fangled software processes of today. Systems have changed from the size of huge buildings to the almost unimaginable small.
Unfortunately, since retiring about 15 years ago I have lost track of the new innovations. Hopefully bp will help me to alleviate this problem.

Edited by Really Old, 03 March 2010 - 12:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 daburners

daburners

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:21 AM

Hello Old Welcome To This Forum And How Are You!

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:30 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Please take the time to browse the New User Orientation forum, to help familiarize yourself with how the board works.

Also, don't forget to check out the Tutorials.
There's a lot of very useful information, in there.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Really Old

Really Old
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:27 PM

Fine thanks. Still able to get around and finding new things to learn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users