Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed new processor-wont boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wethermanks

wethermanks

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:54 PM

I have bought a new processor for my system. I researched and bought the fastest one that would work...I also had another processor that will fit into my socket (478)...However when I install the processor the system wont boot. It is a 3.06 ht pentium. I also tried the other processor and it wont boot with it either.....the only processor that the system will boot with is the original. I updated the BIOS to the latest, but I'm missing something...power supply? Changes made prior to boot? Help...I really want a new computer, but cant stretch right now so the processor upgrade is my only option. The computer is a dell gx260 with a p4 2.4ghz the upgraded processor is a 3.06ghz p4 with hyperthreading sl6pg.. HELP!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:28 AM

I assume this is your PC. What is the exact model number of both CPU's, if you know this? I ask because some CPU's within a given line are revised and may appear to the BIOS differently even though they have the same socket. Motherboards on OEM systems are rarely off-the-shelf units and are sometimes tweaked. This means that, although an OEM may have started from an off-the-shelf motherboard, it may not have the same capabilities. The BIOS Dell provided may have only fixed flaws and not added any CPU's. This is not uncommon as most OEMs only allow for certain hardware combinations to take place. Thus, a possibly unsupported CPU.

3939.png

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:37 AM

Thats the thing, the 845 chipset supports a sl6pg but the BIOS might not. Did that system ever come with a 3.06 from Dell?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 wethermanks

wethermanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:19 AM

The dell site is where I did my research...in the list of supported processors for the computer the sl6pg is supposed to be supported in the bios...as was the other cpu that didnt boot. It is supposed to be supported according to the dell forums...but no one there seemsinterested in helping me get it up and going...the cpu in the computer is the 2.4, as far as the model number cpu z says it is f family model 2 revision 7. I was very careful to get the exact cpu they recommended...sigh
here is the bios support list
System: Optiplex GX260
Version: A00
Release Date: 5/10/2002

1. Initial BIOS Release.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL66R

SL6SM 3.06 GHz N/A 1 533 MHz 0.13 micron C1 512 KB 478 pin N/A
SL6S5 3.06 GHz N/A 1 533 MHz 0.13 micron C1 512 KB 478 pin N/A
SL6QC 3.06 GHz N/A 1 533 MHz 0.13 micron D1 512 KB 478 pin N/A
SL6JJ 3.06 GHz N/A 1 533 MHz 0.13 micron C1 512 KB 478 pin N/A
SL6PG 3.06 GHz N/A 1 533 MHz 0.13 micron D1 512 KB

0 user(s) are reading this topic