Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XP SP3 Dell Inspiron 1520 BSOD for Stop at

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MuscadineJelli

MuscadineJelli

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:40 PM

Let's see.

2008 Dell Inspiron 1520. Running Win XP SP3... IE 7.

No issues with computer since purchase. Don't run peer to peer...

Last week decided to install Avira AntiVir - had been running Avast! and it was driving us nuts with its pop-ups in the taskbar.

Thursday night 2/25 set AntiVir to run a full scan of the drives, left it running, went to bed. Woke up to BSOD with something about the Kernel and a Page Fault ... looked like something had tried to load on top of something else. I knew was bad. I ran CHKDSK /R - took it almost 8 hours the first time, find many bad clusters/files/etc, said it fixed them, ran it twice more until it came back clean.

My desktop failed at the same time (it caught a virus). Spent the entire weekend pulling doc files off to an external HD on both computers, burned them both down & rebuilt with factory restore disks... made sure to format drives. Desktop now seems to be running fine.

Oh, bought AVG Internet Security & loaded on both computers during the rebuild, scans come back clean.

Since laptop rebuild, have twice gotten a BSOD for a lot of binary, but it also says STOP dxec02.sys.

I've done a little reading & this is an audio driver of some nature, but I've gone beyond my technological boundaries.

I've not yet reloaded the data on this computer, but would rather not have to rebuild it again, since I don't know what the issue is.

Another weirdness - as I've been typing the cursor has jumped (just once so far this time - i've noticed it one other time yesterday) and i'll be typing somewhere above in a random place - is that a different issue?

Thanks in advance for any help - we're hurting like everyone else & i can't really afford to go spend $500 on this thing...

Kelli

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:12 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

The file appears to be a chipset driver (audio), but is not a Windows file.

Try installing Knowles Acoustic Driver in accordance with the directions provided by Dell.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 03 March 2010 - 10:15 AM.

#3 MuscadineJelli

MuscadineJelli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:39 PM

Hi, Louis - sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I went to your link and attempted to d/l the Knowles driver - as soon as the d/l started I went back to the BSOD (and just as I was typing that my cursor skipped back to the end of the word "attempted" and started again from there. grrrr.)

ANYWAY - I did write down the BSOD details this time:

"Technical info:

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xB8804289, 0xB472F68C, 0x00000000)

dxsc02.sys - Address B8804289 base at B87F10000, datestamp 454a3986

Beginning dump of physical memory, etc..."

Also I managed to cut & paste the error messages in the "Do you want to tell Microsoft about this problem" when I rebooted, they are as follows:

BCCode : 1000008e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : B8804289 BCP3 : B472F68C
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 768_1

and documents are saved at:

C:\DOCUME~1\Mom\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER9cdc.dir00\Mini030510-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Mom\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER9cdc.dir00\sysdata.xml

It seems to boot right up again, but apparently I cannot d/l that driver. I will go try again, though it probably won't work again.

Thanks for your help on this!

Kelli

#4 MuscadineJelli

MuscadineJelli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:02 PM

OK, my reverse psychology on the demons infesting this thing worked, and I managed to get it d/l & installed.

It came up to "Repair or Uninwas right. stall" so I chose to Repair. I hope that

Dang it. I left the cursor jump there that time.

I guess it got me anyway. :thumbsup:

Now do I just wait to see if it happens again? Or is there some way I can force the issue?

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:17 PM

I found this: http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50966

#6 MuscadineJelli

MuscadineJelli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:17 PM

Interesting!

I ran "RootkitRevealer" and it found this:

HKLM\SECURITY\Policy\Secrets\SAC* 2/28/2010 9:51am 0 bytes Key name contains embedded nulls (*)
HKLM\SECURITY\Policy\Secrets\SAI* (same details & comment)

Don't know if these mean anything?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:14 AM

http://forum.sysinternals.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8881

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users