Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win xp internet security

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 pouringreign

pouringreign

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:35 PM

I had a friend give me his laptop to fix. I have no idea what he did but it was something. He did have malware on his computer, however nothing I did fixed the problem. The usb ports did not work, the internet didn't work in normal mode and safe mode, the antivirus was disabled. I even tried to reformat the computer with XP media center, it didn't boot from the cd. Just for the heck of it, I put a vista installation disk and it reformatted the computer in vista.
Hopefully, I can get the computer back to xp media center. That is the license he has. To be honest, I have seen several of these issues but never a laptop so corrupted. Can anyone give me a clue as what could have happened? This guy thinks he knows about computers and who knows what he tried to do.

Usually I can go to the safe mode, go to the internet and run an online antivirus. I couldn't even get to the internet in the safe mode!

I was going to try to repair the operating system. I put the os disk into the cd rom and it would not boot from the cd even though I changed it from the bios.

Why was I able to reformat with Vista and not XP? Maybe there was an issue with the cd rom drivers.

I'm sure the person would like me to upgrade their os, but not without a license.

Edited by Pandy, 02 March 2010 - 09:49 PM.
Moved from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs as no logs are posted ~Pandy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users