Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to properly read a hard disk drive

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 endymion33

endymion33

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:34 PM

I am trying to read this HDD that used to be on another CPU which is the HDD that loaded the system. When I connect such HDD to the extra slot on the tower, it gives me a boot error message before it even loads windows. It says to connect the proper boot disk instead and restart the engine. It makes sense since both HDD are trying to boot the system but I just want to read this old HDD to see if I can save some data from it.

I am thinking this may have to do with the positioning of the jumper blocks but I have no idea.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:50 PM

I am thinking this may have to do with the positioning of the jumper blocks but I have no idea.

The main drive [C:] needs the jumpers set to Master and plugged into the end of the ribbon cable
The Slave drive needs the jumpers set appropriately to slave

Posted Image
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 daburners

daburners

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:51 AM

I Think Default Settings Of Hard Drive Is Also Master Drive.We Just Use jumper Settings For Converting The Drive Into The Slave Settings

#4 endymion33

endymion33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:05 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I set both correctly, one to master and the other one to slave (based on what the HD said right on the side of the jumpers' position, just noticed it) and the master HD to the last of the ATA cable switches and last of power supply and it still gives me this error in DOS while loading:

Posted Image

The message says I canceled network boot with keystroke but if I let it run, it gives me the same final error.

Edited by endymion33, 04 March 2010 - 06:07 PM.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 08:09 PM

Do you have the hard drive set as the first boot device in the BIOS?
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 endymion33

endymion33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 08:55 PM

Do you have the hard drive set as the first boot device in the BIOS?

:thumbsup: I dont think so but honestly, I have no clue.

If I change it to the hard drive as the 1st boot device, will it inflict into doing a system-restore in the future or I should change it back to the CD-ROM to leave it as it was?

Right now I am on my laptop, when I get home, I will check that out.

#7 endymion33

endymion33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:32 PM

This is what I see on the BIOS settings:

Posted Image

So now I see that I have to change 'First Boot Device' to Hard Disk but I was wondering, if the FBD is CDROM then the SBD is Hard Disk, why doesn't go straight to Hard Disk as usual if I set the other hard disk (the one I am trying to view) to slave? (Boot hard disc is set to master)

Also, why is the 'Hard Disk Boot Priority' not installed? How can I install that?

edit: I went ahead and changed the first boot device to hard drive and after saving and restarting same problem happens.

Edited by endymion33, 04 March 2010 - 11:47 PM.

#8 GalvinBrown

GalvinBrown

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:27 AM

I think that you should check settings and should set the booting from bios or USB port.Sometimes it happens because of our computer starts its boot process with its regular way.Please reply here after checking this solution,If you get any more solution that please let me just aware about it..

#9 endymion33

endymion33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:48 AM

I think that you should check settings and should set the booting from bios or USB port.Sometimes it happens because of our computer starts its boot process with its regular way.Please reply here after checking this solution,If you get any more solution that please let me just aware about it..

That didn't work, same screen comes out. It can't find a boot disc.

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:23 PM

You need to disable Network Boot Priority
Mark
Posted Image

#11 endymion33

endymion33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 01:34 AM

You need to disable Network Boot Priority

These are the current settings:

Posted Image

My main boot HD is set to master and the HD I've been trying to view is set to slave. When I run the machine, this is what I get and does not go any further:

Posted Image

It only reads the slave HD, I can hear it.

I also tried setting second boot device to HD but same deal.

btw, 'Network Boot Priority' cannot be changed.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:23 AM

Double-clicking on any line item in the BIOS...will reflect the options for said line item.

Click on Network Boot Priority...what are the options listed?

Make the hard drive...your 1st boot option.

Make the optical drive...your 2d boot option.

Make network...your 3d boot option.

Save the settings.

FWIW: Sometimes when the CMOS battery needs to be replaced...the system defaults to the network boot option. A new CMOS battery costs less than $5. The fact that you cannot change CMOS settings...leads me in this direction.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users