Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All but main computer can connect to internet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TerryB92

TerryB92

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:22 PM

I have a cable modem, wired router and wireless access point all connected to my computer. Two other computers in the house connected to wired router - they can access the internet just fine. 2 laptops connecting wirelessly thru access point connect to internet without issues. All of a sudden MY computer - the main one everyone is connecting through - cannot access the internet. My network connection looks fine - I can ping the ip address and the ip address of other computers on my home network. I cannot ping outside addresses. I've tried reinstalling network adapter, updating drivers, etc. Device mgr shows no conflicts. No system changes were made so I don't know what caused the problem. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:17 PM

Hi Terry,
Can you explain a little better how you have things hooked up ? I'm trying to see why everything would be going through your main computer. It should be more or less:

ISP to Cable Modem

Cable Modem to Wired Router

Wired Router to Wireless Access Point to Laptops via wireless

Wired Router to Computers via Ethernet

Where does the "main computer" come into the picture ?

Edited by Orecomm, 02 March 2010 - 10:19 PM.

#3 TerryB92

TerryB92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:24 PM

Your description is correct. Cable modem to wired router. Wired access point connected to the router. Laptops connecting wirelessly to access point. Kids computers connected by ethernet cables to the router. My computer connected by ethernet to the router. Sorry, guess my prior description was misleading.

All computers can connect to the internet except mine. It's a new issue that just started happening about a week ago.

#4 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:34 PM

Hi,

Is your computer hard-wired to router or is it wireless?

If It is hard wire Check your Router Light Indicator to make sure that the light is ON for that particular port Comp.. is on. and make sure on the back of comp.. Ethernet light turns on..

If that is OK Check the way you connect to the internet in the Network tab. Check if it is enabled or disabled maybe your issue lies their./
For XP I think it goes. Start/Network /then you have the icons that tell you status on connections. (Sorry Im on a MAC)

To help you more I need to know what Operating System it is?

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:02 PM

What version of Windows is on your PC?

What is the make and model of the router?

Can you ping the router? If you type ipconfig at a command prompt and look for the Default Gateway, that is the IP address of the router.

If you can ping the router, which I am guessing you will be able to since you can ping the other PCs in your network, try pinging google.com and 74.125.65.99 does either get through?

Is the NIC in the PC onboard?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 TerryB92

TerryB92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:18 PM

ok, finally in desperation, I switched the NIC card and woo hoo I can connect to the internet.
Still not sure that was the problem since I was able to ping other computers on the network and the router but I'm not going to dwell on it!
Thanks to all for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users