Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network security.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,750 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:54 PM

How can I find out if someone is hacking into my WiFi? Clicking on the security tab informs me that the network's Security type is using WPA2-Personal and the Encryption type is AES. Sometimes downloading files is done in seconds, other times a lot longer.
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:28 PM

You can look at the DHCP client list or the like on your router. You can also look at the security log. You might have to turn it on and wait. But your download speeds vary because that is the way of the net. Some sites have mad bandwidth and others don't.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,750 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:38 PM

Uhhhh... Hate to sound like an idiot but how do I go about finding the DHCP list or the security list? And can I do that from my computer or do I need to do it from the computer that I installed the program for the router? BTW I'm using a Netgear WGR614v9, and both computers are running Windows Vista Home Premium SP-2. Your explanation as to the cause of slow download speeds makes sense, but I would like to learn how to check on the security of my WiFi as part of routine maintainance.

Edited by Bezukhov, 02 March 2010 - 09:41 PM.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:17 PM

You can do this from either PC. Did you surf into the router to setup the security? If you look under the Maintenance tab then Attached Devices, that will give you a list of everything currently attached.

For the Logs: Select Logs under Content Filtering in the main menu.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,750 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:49 AM

Ahhh, Thanks to you Cavedweller I figured it out. Frustrating at first, I couldn't figure out what the username and password was for the router network page. The problem was I never set it and a trip to the forums for Netgear showed me what the default was and and I at last got to see the logs on who accessed my router. I was the only one, as it should be. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users