Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display driver malfunction

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 darrcan

darrcan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 09 September 2005 - 07:47 AM

I have a Gateway Desktop computer that we are giving to my kids. As we were deleting off personal files, my wife accidently deleted a few program files.

I tried reinstalling Windows 98 from the restoration CD but it gave an error message that a couple of program files were corrupted or missing....all were dll files.

Although Windows is functioning the display is only in 16 color. We have an EV910 monitor for this computer. Unfortunately I can't even load our internet software back on the computer because it says it requires a minimum of 256 color display to install.

I am currently on my laptop at home.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Darren

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2005 - 09:27 AM

Hi darrcan and welcome to BC.

Can you give us the Dell Series and Model Number?

Go to Start>Settings>Control Panel and double click the System icon and let us know if you see any yellow or red marks on any devices. Have you added or changed any hardware (like the video card) since the machine was new?

Edited by Leurgy, 09 September 2005 - 09:29 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 darrcan

darrcan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2005 - 10:50 AM

It is actually a Gateway Computer year 2000

Model number is SELECT K7-700

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2005 - 02:05 PM

Sorry, I was thinking Gateway when I typed Dell.

I can't find any info at Gateway on a K7-700 or a Year 2000. The main Gateway support page is here. There is a 700GR.

You can go to Downloads and drill down to your model and hopefully burn the drivers you need to CD

What you are looking for are either the Motherboard or Video (Display) adapter drivers but you may be missing others. Is your Recovery CD clean? It should contain everything you need for that computer, unless it can't be read because of dirt or scratches.

Let us know how you make out.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users