Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstall WinXp SP3 on a Dell Inspiron 1100 - Now Nothing Really Works

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wonkycrayons

wonkycrayons

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:57 PM

Something or another was wrong with my mom's old laptop and she decided to reinstall Windows to fix it. Now I don't know whats wrong, I don't know a ton about computers and neither does she really. Basically the resolution is stuck on 640x480 and the color 4bit. Its hard to do anything like that, it doesn't recognize the internet either if you plug it in or the video card or the sound card or anything much. I have no clue what to do at this point and we can't afford to get it repaired professionally. Is there anything I can do? Please help if you can, this is all the information I know but tell me if you need more. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 06:06 PM

After you reinstalled windows did you then use the "Drivers and Utilities" disks to reload all the hardware drivers?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 wonkycrayons

wonkycrayons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 06:12 PM

I'm guessing no seeing as whats going on but I'll ask her. I've never reinstalled windows myself so I don't even know there was a disc like that. I hope she has one.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 06:24 PM

The Dell computers here in our office come with 2 Drivers and Utilities CDs.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 wonkycrayons

wonkycrayons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 06:56 PM

She says she doesn't have a disc like that anymore, she's had the laptop for a while and probably lost it. Can I download drivers online? They have some on the Dell support site I found by typing in the service tag but I don't know what I need. I was going to put them on a disc from my good computer and install them over on the laptop.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:02 PM

You should install all the drivers they have for that model on the Dell website.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:07 PM

Inspiron 1100 drivers

Download from another system. Burn onto a cd in case you need them in the future.
Install chipset drivers first then video, sound, and network.

You dont need any of the utilities that they have listed

That should get you on your way
In the beginning there was the command line.

#8 wonkycrayons

wonkycrayons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:19 PM

Thank you very much, I will try and see what happens.

Edit - Thanks again to the both of you who helped, it worked.

Edited by wonkycrayons, 02 March 2010 - 08:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users