Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HJT chris cox

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chris cox

chris cox

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 09 September 2005 - 05:11 AM

My computer is infected with the W32/Alemod.e.dll virus.
I have McAfee Virus Scan & Personal Firewall plus, Zone Alarm, Spybot S & D and Ad-Aware (as well as PC Mighty Max which I can't get rid of).
I've also tried some online scan and repair downloads but the virus is still there. During one of my attempts I seem to have inadvertantly deleted Word and Excel as well.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 11 September 2005 - 09:46 PM

Hi chris cox,

We'll need some more information to help you. That is what HijackThis is for and will at least give us a start. Please do the following:

Download the self-extracting version of HijackThis from here:

HijackThis_sfx download

Save HijackThis_sfx to your desktop.

Double-click the file then click the Unzip button. Then close the Self-Extractor window.

Using My Computer/Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\HijackThis and double click on HijackThis.exe to run it. If you would like to make a shortcut so it's more easily accessable, right click HijackThis.exe and choose Send To > Desktop (create shortcut).

Open HijackThis and click Do a system scan and save a log file. Copy the entire contents of that log and post it here by clicking the Add Reply button.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#3 chris cox

chris cox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 12 September 2005 - 02:35 PM

Hi Papakid

As far as I know I've sent the file you asked for. I had already downloaded the Hijack This program and I followed your instructions.

My D drive isn't working now either.

Thanks for your help

#4 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 12 September 2005 - 04:25 PM

Hi Chris, I'm a ittle confused about what you have done since I don't see a log posted. Perhaps I wasn't clear on how to do that.

When you open HijackThis and click Do a system scan and save a log file, HijackThis will perform a scan and then Notepad should open with the scan results. The name of the Notepad file should be hijackthis.log.

While that log file is open, click on the Edit menu and choose Select All, then click Edit again and choose Copy. Now click on the Add Reply button of this Topic and right click in the message field and choose paste. When that is done and you have added whatever comments you wish to make, click the Add Repy button below the message field.

If Notepad or this board is not working as it should, let me know and we'll work something else out. I need to see a log from a HijackThis scan to get started on helping you.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users