Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reconnected hardware: PC turns on but system wont start

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 endymion33

endymion33

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:41 PM

I have a T6212 tower. In an attempt to switch the fans and other hardware from a newer emachines to this old T6212 which has never given me problems and runs smoothly up to this date, the system will now not load.

I removed the fan along with the cooling CPU system in order to clean it and replace the fan. I also removed all ATA cables along with the power supply unit. The computer turned on fine but nothing would come out on the screen. Since it didn't load, I switched the new hardware back with the old (original) hardware.

After turning it on with all the original hardware back into it, the system would still not load. The computer turns on and the fans work fine but the monitor's light stays in yellow and the system just does not load, even with the original ATA cables and original power supply unit.

I honestly do not know if switching them has anything to do with it or I am thinking it has to do with the pins or "master vs slave" but all seems to be connected properly but then, I am no expert.

Can anyone help me out with this??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:10 PM

Re-check all connections...remove and reseat the RAM.

If using onboard graphics...try a physical video card, rather than the onboard graphics.

Louis

#3 endymion33

endymion33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:13 PM

Re-check all connections...remove and reseat the RAM.

If using onboard graphics...try a physical video card, rather than the onboard graphics.

Louis

Thanks Louis.

I re-set all ram card (I have 4) and connections have been rechecked over and over. I also removed this wintv video card I had on a PCI slot but that made no difference.

I don't know what else it could be, this is frustrating.

#4 Hairy Yuri

Hairy Yuri

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:19 PM

Give the mobo connector a good push down, sometimes they "click", but only one side actually connects, I've had this happen.

If that fails, unplug all the power leads except the mobo and any gfx card and try again; another fault I had that stopped a system booting was a drive going short circuit and taking down the 12v line.

Finally, it could be the gfx card (if fitted), I had a perfectly good X1950 that died when I moved the mobo to a new case, same mobo, same psu, but when starting the new case..... dead.

#5 endymion33

endymion33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:24 PM

Ok, something interesting just happened.

I removed 2 1gb ram cards from 2 of the slots (leaveing me with a total of 1gbram) and now the system loaded.

Why would this happen? How can I make the system load with the 2 1gb ram cards back into the slots?

#6 endymion33

endymion33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:13 PM

Apparently, I solved the problem.

Thanks to everyone. Will make another thread about reading a hard drive.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:14 PM

Have all four modules been installed always?

Did you add RAM recently?

Louis

#8 endymion33

endymion33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:18 PM

Have all four modules been installed always?

Did you add RAM recently?

Louis

Not recently but it turned out to be the RAM. I replaced them and it loaded. I had to replace them 3 times in order for it to load.

Thanks for your help!

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:40 AM

Glad you solved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users