Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Hard Drive Death

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:27 PM

So, I was building arch linux this morning, following the beginner's guide. I got to installing the graphics with: pacman -S xorg

It did all the install stuff for linux packages before it rattled off a ton of inode errors.

I did a hard reset (removed the battery and replaced it, I didn't think I could hurt it anymore than it was) and it outputted itself fixing a bunch of inodes. After it was done, the computer auto-rebooted and went through all of its start operations like normal til it got to checking filesystems where it said /dev/sda3 has errors and ran emergency check. Emergency check gets to 89.9% before saying Filecheck failed because inode 4-something (6 digit number) is corrupted. it said manually repair and gave me access to the command-line.

after about an hour of frustration, I noticed my bios has a HDD diagnostic, which failed to read something after not getting past 0%

so, I have given up and am wonderiong if it's possible to replace a laptop hard drive. I have a thinkpad T60.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:22 PM

Yes, you can.

And here are some options.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 02 March 2010 - 08:24 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 JRoberts

JRoberts

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:38 PM

Its super simple on the T60...
One thing this movie doesn't tell you is that alot of the time you must remove the drive bay cover screw AS WELL AS the screw nearest the cover in order to get it lose. It will appear that the cover won't budge until you remove this other screw.
T60 HDD Replacement

Good Luck!

#4 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:29 AM

Oh my god, thank you guys so much, ill have a new hard drive by friday =D

0 user(s) are reading this topic