Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

JavaScript errors

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Thorgren

Thorgren

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:43 PM

Hello all,

I just got done removing that nasty Security Essentials 2010 from my laptop. MalwareBytes now shows clean. I just purchased McAfee 2010, however I cannot install it. The launcher pops up and says

Installation Cannot Continue

We're having trouble installing your McAfee software because JavaScript is not working correctly on the PC.

Need more information? Visit our Customer Support site at http://us.mcafee.com/root/campaign.asp?cid=43582 for detailed instructions.

Well the page tells you to reinstall Jscript 5.7. Thats all well and good but windows wont install it because it thinks it already has a more updated version.

Any suggestions before I reinstall XP all together?

Thor

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:24 PM

My experience with these "fake security" malware programs...is that running Malwarebytes does not remove all traces.

I followed that up with a full scan using my AV program (and came up with other malware items) and then followed that up with a scan using SUPERAntiSpyware.

Those efforts produced a clean system from one previously infected.

As for failure to install McAfee...it's not the only AV program around, nor is it considered one of the better programs to use (IMO).

JavaScript errors...normally have to do with the webpage you are visiting, nothing you can do about such.

http://www.mediacollege.com/internet/javas...asic/error.html

Are you getting the two errors noted in that link you posted?

Louis

#3 Thorgren

Thorgren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:43 PM

No I am not getting the errors that are listed on the McAfee page but I get the following which points to the page.

Installation Cannot Continue

We're having trouble installing your McAfee software because JavaScript is not working correctly on the PC.

Need more information? Visit our Customer Support site at http://us.mcafee.com/root/campaign.asp?cid=43582 for detailed instructions.

Is what pops up in where you would normally see the installation dialog box.

I certainly hope I cleaned off that darn malware. I will download some other scanners and see.
I am starting to get warry downloading A/V programs and such off the net. Thats how I got nailed with SE 2010 in the first place. I was running PCCillin and downloaded what I thought was a legit spyware cleaner. SE 2010 bypassed right by PC Cillan's protection and wrecked havoc.

Thor

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:36 PM

It's very easy to check the status of a given program before downloading...simply use Google to sample information on such.

As for these phony malware programs bypassing installed/updated AV programs...I find that such is partly true. Last week, I visited a site which tried to install such a program on my system...the effort was partly successful, in that my screen was taken over. But my AV program prevented any other changes from taking place and I just did the Control-Alt-Delete combo and closed the system down. On reboot, I ran a full scan with Malwarebytes and my AV and removed malware items which had been planted on my system.

FWIW: I use Avira Free as my AV program of choice.

For more than my novice suggestions regarding malware...I suggest that visit some of the BC malware forums for guidance and expert help regarding malware.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users