Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need a portable Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Laughing Bear

Laughing Bear

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:12 PM

I'm interested in getting portable hard drive that will house my programs as well as all my files so that I can carry it to multiple locations and plug it in via firewire (or USB) to my existing computer(s) and then use the programs and files wherever I am. Programs are not so important as the files and data. BUT I want to be able to have OUTLOOK on the portable hard drive and have all my PST files readily accessible wherever I am.

Does anyone do this? Does anyone have any good suggestions as to whether I can do this (carry the Outlook program and all my data files and use them wherever I am located at the moment?)

Thanks for any input anyone can give.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:14 PM

In order to use any drive containing programs...the accompanying registry entries must be in place, which means that the programs must have been installed (at some time) on any system cesiring to access those programs.

Data files, it doesn't matter...they can be accessed from any system, any time (unless encrypted or otherwise protected).

Outlook is a program, part of MS Office.

Louis

#3 Laughing Bear

Laughing Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:59 PM

I've looked for various virtual programs and other software that might help to run Outlook from a flash drive and you're right, it really can't be done, but has anyone used MojoPac or P.I. Protector Mobility Suite (from ImagineLan)? If anyone has experience with these, do they work okay with Windows Vista op system?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users