Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

nvidia driver wont install

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 vigge_sWe

vigge_sWe

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:53 PM

Posted Image

I just installed win7 64-bit (ultimate). I got a nvidia geforce 8600GT card, and I get this error when trying to install the latest driver (196.75). Windows Update fails at it too. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:17 PM

I just installed win7 64-bit (ultimate). I got a nvidia geforce 8600GT card, and I get this error when trying to install the latest driver (196.75). Windows Update fails at it too. Any ideas?

Did you download the 64 bit Drivers?

Edited by cryptodan, 02 March 2010 - 01:17 PM.

#3 vigge_sWe

vigge_sWe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:32 PM

Did you download the 64 bit Drivers?

Yes. Thing is, when I tried to install the visual c++ runtime, 64-bit, it didn't work the few first time, complaining about being 32-bit or something... but my control panel says 64-bit and there is a sysWOW64 folder

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:11 PM

Right click on my computer select properties what does it show?

#5 vigge_sWe

vigge_sWe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 05:46 AM

Posted Image

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:22 AM

I have a 64bit OS and didn't need to install any runtimes to get the nVidia Drivers to install. Something is corrupted with your install.

#7 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 01:34 PM

Make sure you are downloading the proper driver of your card. NVIDIA GT????. Nvidia has many graphic cards. I suggest only downloading from Nvidia site.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 01:56 PM

Make sure you are downloading the proper driver of your card. NVIDIA GT????. Nvidia has many graphic cards. I suggest only downloading from Nvidia site.

You are forgetting about the Unified Driver Format that nVidia now uses. 1 Driver supports many cards.

#9 Cybr

Cybr

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 07:17 PM

Just don't download version 196.75 version of the drivers. There is an alert from NVidia not to install this version and to revert to the previous version if you already have them installed. Apparently, in some cases people are finding their video cards fried.

Article

Edited by Cybr, 06 March 2010 - 07:19 PM.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8GHZ | Foxconn G31MX MB | NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS 512MB | 3 GB RAM | 500GB/160GB HD's | Win7-64, Vista-32, XP, Ubuntu

#10 Aus Smithy

Aus Smithy

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:04 AM

Just a suggestion - check the following area of your registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA CORPORATION - If you find no permissions set set permissions through all entries in the area (tedious process).
Reboot and then try to update the driver from nvidia that suits your card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users