Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange boot problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bootfailure2007

bootfailure2007

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:34 PM

Hello all,

I registered here a while back and forgot about this place however my new problem is most paritcularly strange and mind boggling.

First I will post my specs:

AMD Athlon X2 6000+ (no overclocking or other mod to it)
Gigabyte GA-M57 SLI S4 mobo
6 Gb PNY 1033mhz DDR2
2 x 1GB Gainward Bliss Golden Sample 8800GTS
900w Power Supply
Antec 1200 Case

--------------
As you can obviously tell my PC is for gaming/performance.

However this problem is more of a harassment at this point but I fear it may worsen.

--------------

Symptoms:

About last week before going to bed after shutting down the PC, I cut the mains power to my system to stop the buzzing noise from my speaker system.

The next morning I woke up and when I went to turn my PC on all I got was activity inside the case (e.g. lights on, fans turning) but nothing on screen and eventually the screen goes back to power save mode.
I started pressing the reset button but that did nothing, I then did a power down (holding the power button in for 3 secs) and then power on but still same problem.
I then tried holding in the reset button for over 5 secs but that did nothing either.

Eventually I got round to solving it by quickly powering on my PC at the button then cutting the mains power. When I did that and repowered my machine the screen came back up and a message panel in Grey and White

something like this from what I can remember:

BIOS error
Please reset CPU frequency in CMOS

Then below there is a bar which could let me select to BIOS profiles which were

Default and Profile1

When I select either one of these my PC boots up fine and I get Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and I dont have any other problems.
However if i shut down my PC I will come back to the same problem.

-----------------------------

I have checked all my physical connections inside and outside for possible shorts
Checked systems temps which are all normal during operation
After shutting down normally I tried powering on without any interruption in power supply but still go the same problem.
Checked my Mobo for any scarring (I have had the mobo for 3 years now but its in good condition and is maintained properly)
Reseated my Memory
Reseated my Graphics Cards
Checked my BIOS version its still the latest BETA but I have had it for 4 months with no problems.
Checked PSU levels which are fine.
------------------------------

I dont understand why Its telling me to check my CPU frequency in CMOS as I dont mess around with overclocking etc.

---------------

So in order to get my PC to work I have to power it on then quickly cut the whole power to it then turn it back on.
In all my history with computers I have never seen anything like this before and most forums havent

This is why I am turning to you guys for input and help!

---------------

Looking at someone similars problem I have a feeling it could be the CMOS battery?

Edited by bootfailure2007, 02 March 2010 - 12:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:32 PM

Since a battery costs less than $5...I would replace the current battery and see if there is any impact.

Louis

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:24 PM

Ditto on the battery. If you get that message on the BIOS screen, and the BIOS clock is wrong as well, a new CMOS battery is the first fix.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 bootfailure2007

bootfailure2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 04:23 AM

Okay good news,

I have made some more progress.

Turning it off at power switch doesnt actually help or holding in reset button.

It turns out I have to leave my system running for about a minute after I switch it on for the boot screen to come up.

The following error comes up:

Bios has failed to load properly
Please try resetting the CPU frequeny in the CMOS menu

POST Error

Please select profile

Profile1

I tried a new battery but that has not fixed the issue. I am gonna try a BIOS reflash, I will let you know how I got on

Edited by bootfailure2007, 04 March 2010 - 04:24 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:41 AM

Well...I wouldn't "try a BIOS flash."

I would do as advised and check my BIOS settings for the CPU...in fact, I'd check all of them, after going with the system defaults.

Louis

#6 bootfailure2007

bootfailure2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:52 AM

I would do as advised and check my BIOS settings for the CPU...in fact, I'd check all of them, after going with the system defaults.

Louis

thanks but I never touch my CPU settings in bios or with software I dont believe in overclocking.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:51 PM

Louis

thanks but I never touch my CPU settings in bios or with software I dont believe in overclocking.

Hamluis is not suggesting you over clock, he is telling you to go to your BIOS setup utility and choose a option at the main menu to LOAD SYSTEM DEFAULTS.

This resets your BIOS to the Manufacture's default settings which is pre-configured to make your system run 100% stable.

By the way, a BIOS flash is very risky, if it fails, it can make your computer un-bootable! It is also better if loading BIOS defaults does not fix your problem, try using the jumper on motherboard to reset BIOS, this involves removing the battery before doing this as it can short out the battery!

Edited by MrBruce1959, 04 March 2010 - 12:56 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 bootfailure2007

bootfailure2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:18 PM

Louis

Hamluis is not suggesting you over clock, he is telling you to go to your BIOS setup utility and choose a option at the main menu to LOAD SYSTEM DEFAULTS.

This resets your BIOS to the Manufacture's default settings which is pre-configured to make your system run 100% stable.

By the way, a BIOS flash is very risky, if it fails, it can make your computer un-bootable! It is also better if loading BIOS defaults does not fix your problem, try using the jumper on motherboard to reset BIOS, this involves removing the battery before doing this as it can short out the battery!

thanks but I have already done that and loaded fail safe ones as well when I first discovered the problem. even still I have never really touched anything in my CMOS apart from when I installed Windows 7 when I had to change the boot
priority but thats about it.

I dont think the BIOS flash is "that" risky because I have a utility from Gigabyte that I have used to update the bios 3 times already with no problems.

Edited by bootfailure2007, 04 March 2010 - 01:19 PM.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:30 PM

Okay I understand. I hope all works out ok for you.

If your problem is not resolved let us know.

I know that in some cases, windows based programs can alter or change settings stored in the BIOS setup utility, that is why we suggested you try loading system defaults.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:40 PM

<<...I have used to update the bios 3 times already with no problems.>>

...and you are not having BIOS problems right now, are you?

Oh, well...

Louis

#11 bootfailure2007

bootfailure2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 04:05 PM

<<...I have used to update the bios 3 times already with no problems.>>

...and you are not having BIOS problems right now, are you?

Oh, well...

Louis

yes but my BIOS has been working for 4 months no problems till this happens, I am thinking it may be something physical.

thankyou for your reply

#12 bootfailure2007

bootfailure2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 05:10 AM

Okay for anyone whoever encounters this problem

heres a link to a possible solution I am going to try

http://www.uncoolcentral.com/please-re-setting.htm