Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

print jobs stuck in printer spool

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 meltdown

meltdown

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:43 AM

After using coolfix, hackthis and other virus and malware software a few days ago (under supervision of bleepingcomputer admin) I noticed that my printer wont print. The print jobs are getting to the spool and the printer is saying it has a job to print (blinking light) but nothing happens. I have to reset the printer spool every time in order for it to print.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled printer drivers and it has not helped. It was working fine before I did all the adaware fixes so I'm assuming one of the programs erased something I actually needed. BUT I don't really know. I would appreciate any help on this subject. All my research has only lead me to the same answer which is keep resetting the printer spool in my services... but that is not a permanent fix.

I'm running Windows 7 and the printer is a Konica/minolta pagepro 1350w.

Any Ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:55 PM

Try to clear spool folder: http://www.topfreestuff.com/printSpool.shtml

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 meltdown

meltdown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:09 PM

ya I've tried it. I can clear it but as soon as I try to print anything it becomes stuck in the spooler. If I reset the print spooler in servies the printer will print and the job is cleared out of print spooler folder however every new print job becomes stuck again.

Right now my print spooler folder is clear and my print spooler in services is clear but windows is saying I have a print job waiting (in the toolbar notification lower right). Its all confused.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:15 PM

Did you uninstall/reinstall printer drivers while the printer was physically disconnected from the computer?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 meltdown

meltdown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:37 PM

I think I did but to be sure I'll try it again and post its results in a minute.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:42 PM

OK :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 meltdown

meltdown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:19 PM

just uninstalled and reinstalled. no difference. In fact now I have 2 drivers. the one I got of konica and installed and the one that windows 7 installed when I plugged the printer in. I tried both drivers as default and still same result.

The files in the spool file eventually self erase after a min or two after I reset the spool service and it prints so at least that is working. but each new print job is stuck until I manually restart the spool service still.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:25 PM

when I plugged the printer in

Let's make sure, you did all that in a right sequence.

1. Turn printer off.
2. Uninstall printer and printer driver through Device Manager.
3. Turn computer off.
4. Disconnect printer cable form the computer.
5. Turn the computer on.
6. Install fresh printer driver and re-connect printer ONLY, when driver installation procedure asks you to do so.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 meltdown

meltdown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:04 PM

didn't help. This is what happened

followed all the steps... turned on computer and installed drivers from windows "add printer" file (no current driver for pagepro 1350w.. but windows 7 says it has current drivers for this, or at least lists it as a printer it knows).

It installed and did not ask me to connect it. In fact it said it was ready to go and wanted me to print a test page. So I reconnected the printer and turned it on.

Windows then installed drivers for "new device" which was the page pro 1350w drivers so I ended up with 2 drivers of the same kind. I tried to print and same issue. Only works if I restart spool service.

odd thing - in the task bar it shows that I have a print job waiting but the print spool file is empty and when I click on the icon it pulls up the printer que and there is nothing in there.

Edited by meltdown, 02 March 2010 - 04:07 PM.

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:08 PM

and installed drivers from windows "add printer" file

No, that way, Windows will install its generic driver.
You need to go to printer's manufacturer site and download a driver from there.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#11 meltdown

meltdown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:12 PM

I have tried it that way and when I turn on the printer window 7 sees it and says "installing drivers for new device" even though I have installed the drivers already.

The drivers from the web do not ask me to turn on printer when they are done. But I can try again if you say.

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:16 PM

Please.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#13 meltdown

meltdown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:32 PM

the drivers from the web installed but didnt ask me to turn on the printer. When I did windows saw it as a new device and installed it's own drivers. Not sure whats up.

#14 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:36 PM

This is weird. I think, the downloaded driver doesn't install correctly, since Windows can't see it installed and it's forcing own driver.
What's the link to that driver download?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:19 PM

I have a K-M 1400W. I have it installed on XP, have not done so on Win 7 yet.

Uninstall everything related to the printer, delete all printers reflected under Cotnrol Panel.

The instructions specifically state...that the driver files must be opened...before the printer is powered. So...download the drivers, extract same in a folder...when prompted either connect or power on the printer. The drivers should automatically install.

I don't believe either XP or Win 7 has default drivers for this printer so that may not be a concern.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users