Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

black screen --ISP device???

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 daisy123

daisy123

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:23 AM

Good morning everyone.... I have a real problem here and I am in need of your expert advice. I restarted my computer and get a message to shut down instead of restarting so updates can be installed. So, I went ahead and did that. Had trouble getting it to turn on but finally did so. As it is starting it is just flashing "compaq" and doesn't advance any further. I press F8 trying to get it into safe mode. NOthing. I finally get a message that states " Press Enter to Select IPL Device, ESC TO EXIT" on a black screen. What in the world happened??? What do I do. The only thing I did differently yesterday was get Microsoft trial version of something. Help me please! Thanks so much for any help you can give me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:46 AM

http://docs.sun.com/source/820-4056-10/B_bios-post.html

Looks like a BIOS/CMOS problem to me.

<<The only thing I did differently yesterday was get Microsoft trial version of something.>>

I have no idea what you are referring to.

In any case...I would try to enter the BIOS and elect the default settings and see if it will boot.

System model?

Generally speaking...when the system BIOS/CMOS settings start appearing to be flaky...the first thing I would try is a replacement of the CMOS battery.

Louis

#3 daisy123

daisy123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:14 PM

thanks for your quick reply.

Let me just say that I have a few options on this black screen. They are: CD ROM, FLOPPY DRIVE, USB DEVICE, HARD DRIVE and IBA 4.0.19 SLOT. Is this anymore help? Also, I downloaded from the internet Windows Word Processor 2007 as a trial. Thank you.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:19 PM

Can you enter the BIOS and change the CMOS settings?

Louis

#5 daisy123

daisy123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:27 PM

Thank you for replying! Can you please tell me what BIOS and CMOS stands for?

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:30 PM

BIOS = Basic Input Output System

CMOS = complementary metal oxide semiconductor

#7 daisy123

daisy123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:46 PM

I looked up what Louis recommended and I guess I have to restart? That's a scary thought. I'm sorry I don't understand all if this.

#8 daisy123

daisy123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:10 PM

I appreciate all the help you guys gave me but I became so frustrated that I just shut down the computer taking the risk in it not starting again. Well, I just wanted to let you know that Windows started normally. Amazing! So, even though I didn't take the appropriate steps it all worked out in the end. Thank you again for all of your help. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users