Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failing repair - XP Pro SP2

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Techguy27

Techguy27

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:59 AM

Hello,

I have a computer I am working on that the mobo failed. The person who needs the repair has chosen to have a new system put together, but have their old DATA copied over to the new hardware. No big deal normally. Run a repair install, load the drivers and off you go.

In this case I run the repair XP Pro SP2, it goes through the system files delete/copy process and reboots. Upon reboot it keeps crashing in an infinite restart. I disalbed the auto restart on system failure to see that I was getting a 0x07e stop error. I typically take this for a driver issue, so I restored the registry hives from a restore point using the recovery console. This allowed me to now boot into safe mode and see what was going on. From Safe mode I ran the driver installations from the disc and uninstalled any old Intel drivers from Add/Remove programs.

Still unable to boot into normal mode, I tried another repair. I get the same results with the infinite reboots when trying to run the GUI part of the install. At this point I suspect a possible software issue with one of the programs the user had installed. However I dont' know for sure. Any help getting over this hump would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

On a side note: this is a point of sale machine that the user account did not have the ability to open IE. I do not suspect a spyware issue either.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:20 AM

If you are changing hardware platforms say from Intel to AMD trying to clone the drive can cause serious unrecoverable issues. Windows XP does not take the change to the HAL well. The best bet is to do a clean install, install the drivers, install the programs and then restore only the needed files to get everything up to speed.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:38 AM

FWIW: Changing of a motherboard or a hard drive...should not (IMO) be expected achieve success unless a clean install is done.

It can happen, but I would not expect such.

Changing a Motherboard or Moving Hard Drive - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Louis

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:42 AM

This may help you if you are changing from an Intel to an AMD processor.

1. Boot into Safe Mode and rename INTELPMM.SYS to INTELPMM.OLD.

2. After booting into Safe Mode:

Start | Run | (copy/paste) sc config intelppm start= disabled | OK | Reboot into normal (Windows) mode.

Edited by techextreme, 02 March 2010 - 11:42 AM.

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#5 Techguy27

Techguy27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:47 PM

If you are changing hardware platforms say from Intel to AMD trying to clone the drive can cause serious unrecoverable issues. Windows XP does not take the change to the HAL well. The best bet is to do a clean install, install the drivers, install the programs and then restore only the needed files to get everything up to speed.

In this case I am going from a P4 to an E5200

FWIW: Changing of a motherboard or a hard drive...should not (IMO) be expected achieve success unless a clean install is done.

I agree that success should not be expected. However, for me it is common practice to copy data over as user's do not want to lose information when repalcing/upgrading a machine. This processes is done 20 some times a week with minimal errors that are typically resolved with ease. Unfortunately, this current issue has me stumped. I appreciate any advice or suggestions that do not involve a clean install.

This may help you if you are changing from an Intel to an AMD processor.

1. Boot into Safe Mode and rename INTELPMM.SYS to INTELPMM.OLD.

2. After booting into Safe Mode:

Start | Run | (copy/paste) sc config intelppm start= disabled | OK | Reboot into normal (Windows) mode.

I tried this anyway despite the fact I am not using AMD. It's a good suggestion that I will no doubt use in the future. Thank you.

#6 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:01 PM

The person who needs the repair has chosen to have a new system put together, but have their old DATA copied over to the new hardware

Are we all speaking the same language?

If you are transferring DATA, then having the OS able to boot is irrelevant is it not?

Move the drive to an external enclosure or non primary drive in another computer. Or boot to a live linux cd and copy the data to another disk or network location.

If the data is going to a new system, there are dozens of ways to do it.

If you want to transfer an "image" of the old system including OS you will run into serious problems if the hardware is different enough.

#7 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:02 PM

This process can actually be accomplished by utilizing the Ultimate BootCD, and this article from Microsoft.

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

-- Seneca

#8 Techguy27

Techguy27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:28 PM

Are we all speaking the same language?

I guess not and that fault is mine. I apologize.

It is not a simple data copy. I'm taking an XP Pro installation from a failed computer and putting it into a new machine. I need the OS to boot with the old XP Pro SP2 installation and all installed programs in tact. This is a point of sale machine with proprietary software running the user's busniess. He has so gracially decided not to pay for an $800 support contract with his point of sale vendor and does not have any software media.

As mentioned above, typically you do a repair, install the drivers and off you go. I'm stumped with a 0x07e stop error that so far does not appear to be driver related.

I have also tried pushing F7 during the intial media boot process to disable the ACPI driver before the repair. That has resolved similiar issues numerous times...Sadly not in this case.

I have decided to restore the system to the oldest restore point hoping to rule out any IE8 installation issue, or some other newly installed software. This has not worked....

-Thanks

#9 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:47 PM

Have you imaged the old computer drive?

He has so gracially decided not to pay for an $800 support contract with his point of sale vendor and does not have any software media.

Proprietary software can be expensive in the long run. That is why independent programmers for niche POS software often add hash checks to make sure their software cannot be transferred to another computer.

Image the drive, write it to another hd and experiment and see if it will boot on a pc similar to the original. You may need to keep it at a p4 level or at least stick to intel.

Your client probably had some idea this was not going to work...

If you want to tell us the details of the hard ware and software we may be able to help, but if the research indicates someone is violating the terms of their software license, we can't do that.

up to you.

Microsoft bigwigs keep claiming that the license does not transfer to a replacement computer so the client is probably going to have to buy another copy of xppro to make the OS legal.

The POS software may have other restrictions

#10 Techguy27

Techguy27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:08 PM

Have you imaged the old computer drive?

Haven't needed to yet, but can.

Your client probably had some idea this was not going to work...

He is a 76 year old man running a shipping (ups/fedex) store. I trust his ignorance.

If you want to tell us the details of the hard ware and software we may be able to help, but if the research indicates someone is violating the terms of their software license, we can't do that.

I understand and would not expect anyone to violate the law in helping with this issue, however, the license sticker of the old installation has been removed from the case and placed on the new system. I don't see a need to repurchase a XP Pro license with the new system in this scenario.... ?

The proprietary software has been bought and paid for, it is only the support option that the user declined on. An irrelevant detail, but the user is an older financially in trouble business owner. The choice was to piece a system together using some of his older parts. However, the only old part from his system currently installed is his HDD. All HDD diag tools come up with the HDD being good.

At any rate

New system:
E5200
Gigabyte G31M-ES2L
1Gb DDR2
40Gb (from old system)
1 PCI parallel port (currently not installed)
Floppy (not plugged in)
CDROM from old system (not plugged in)
SATA DVD Burner (Test unit for DVD read ability)

XP Pro SP2
Resource Software Inc. (POS software name according to user)

Old System:
Older HP system with P4 and 512Mb of ram.

#11 Techguy27

Techguy27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:10 PM

It seems the POS software is called. ReSource

#12 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:14 PM

What model HP was this system?

Techextreme

-- Seneca

#13 Techguy27

Techguy27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:19 PM

Compaq D510C

#14 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:29 PM

If I remember correctly the D510C used the 845 Intel Chipset.

Your new board is the G31 Intel Chipset.

My suggestion would be to load the registry entries as noted in this Microsoft Article and reboot the machine.

This should baseline the IDE controller Drivers and allow the machine to at least boot enough to load the associated Intel Chipset drivers.

Once complete, you should be able to reboot without problems.

Techextreme

-- Seneca

#15 Techguy27

Techguy27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:44 PM

I have imaged the drive to a SATA HDD.
After the image I tried the above suggestion to run the merge.reg from MS website. This did not resovle the issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users