Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange CD burner issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 slycer

slycer

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:33 AM

I burned a copy of the Netgear WPN111 v3 driver file to CD for a friend because he had lost his. After the file burned, I went into the disk to verify that it had burned successfully. There was no file there, but I could tell from the color change on the bottom of the CD that something had burned onto the disk. No problem, figured I had just burnt my occasional coaster. So, I went to reburn the file. Except, my CD drive did not want to eject the disk. In fact, most everything on my computer locked up. I managed to bring up Task Manager, and killed explorer.exe. When everything came back up, I went to try to burn the file on a different disk through Windows. This time, Windows wouldn't recognize the fact that I had a blank disk in the drive. It kept opening the tray and telling me to put a blank disk in, even though there already was one. So, I opened Nero StartSmart only to have the same problem. I could load the file like I was going to burn it, but when I actually hit burn, it kicked the tray out and told me to put in a blank disk.
I finally managed to burn a copy of the file successfully (so I thought) on my wife's laptop. My friend took the disk home, put it in his system, and his computer told him there was nothing on it. Just like mine, the read/write area of the CD was discolored to show there was data there, but the computer couldn't see it. To make a long story short, he went out and bought an identical WPN111 so he could use the driver disk and then return the whole thing. Except, just like my system now, the CD burner does not work at all. It won't recognize any media put into it. Has anybody come across this before? I was reading some other topics, and found this: but I'm not sure it will apply to my issue. We can still see the CD drive icon in My Computer, on our respective computers. They just don't work. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.

PS: FYI - My system: Dell Dimension E510 P4 3GHz running Win XP MCE SP3 My CD burner is not original, it is a Sony, but I don't remember the model number right now. I will post that when I get home tonight from work.
My buddy's system: Dell Optiplex GX1 POS running Win XP Pro SP3 As far as I know his drive is original.

Thanks again

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:25 PM

Hi Slycer,
I had similar problem on a Dell Laptop. It will not burn disk even do it sees's the disk in the drive, it will only read it.
-------------------------------
I did not find the root of the problem, however I found something that works. And maybe it can work for you.....
-------------------------------
But first, if you have not already try to REINSTALL the Drivers for that perticular drive or by going to Dells website and download "Drivers" for Cd Rom.
www.Dell/Drivers.com
-----------------------------
If that does not solve your issue, which it did not for me.. than download this program..
http://cdburnerxp.se/
-----------------------------
this program is made by a software developer and is Free.
------------------------
And that's how it solved my Dell burning issue. I think the problem lies in the connection between the Burning Software and the actual Hardware itself. But that is strange that it did it on your wife's comp. as well. hmmmmmm. anyways I hope this helps :thumbsup:

Edited by JUICYboy, 02 March 2010 - 02:35 PM.

#3 daburners

daburners

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:39 AM

There Are Two Things Happening.

1:- CD Was Not Burned
2:- CD Was Burned From The Bottom.

About First Problem It Can Be software Problem Or You Eject The CD Before Fully Burning.

And About Second Problem Your CD Was Burn From The Bottom.This Can Be Because Of Your CD Quality.
I Think Its Not The Fault Of Your CD Rom.

#4 slycer

slycer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:00 PM

Whatever it was, I did get it fixed without having to replace the burner. As someone suggested, I uninstalled the CD burner from Device Manager, and when the computer booted back up the burner was fine. It didn't ever sound like someone was scraping a nail across the surface of whichever CD happened to be in it anymore! That's always a good thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users