Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installing avast anti-virus on Win 2000 won't work

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 techedumbdumb

techedumbdumb

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:21 AM

I am trying to clean up my very old Sony Viao which has two OS's. I do not understand most errors that pop up and block me from doing basic installs/updates on both OS. It seems that Win 2000 runs better than the XP Pro version on this computer. I think XP was usilized more than 2000 for the past three years and was never updated at microsoft.com and needs alot of TLC to get it running smoothly. As I navigate through the cleanup I keep coming up with errors that prevent me from installing regular updates or downloads to almost anything that would help this computer run faster. I am sure there is a virus on here but windows update won't go through the installs and I can't get Avast antivirus on here because of the following error above. I installed the set-up to my desktop and when I click run this is the error that came up. I have unistalled it twice and reinstalled it hoping that it was just a loading problem but the same error keeps happening. Does anyone know what this error code means and if there is a fix to it so I can get on with downloading some antivirus software to clean this computer before doing anything else?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:01 PM

Since you're getting a lot of errors, why not to back up your data and reinstall Windows?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 techedumbdumb

techedumbdumb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:30 PM

I am new to all this computer fixing stuff so I really would have major questions on how to do what you suggested but besides that, I don't have the original install disks. I bought this Sony Viao from a neighbor in 2001 and he had upgraded it from Win95 to Win2000. I let my little girl use it for playing her SIMS games for a few years and then the neighbor upgraded the Win 2000 for us so she could continue to play SIMS newly released software. It was not hooked up online to the web until 2006. At that time, when the computer booted up you could choose between Win 2000 or XP Pro. This was still my kids computer so she always chose XP Pro and my husband and I never got into her computer. We were too dumb to know we had to do updates and buy software to keep this computer from virus's and such back then. Within the last year I have finally smartened up and the other two computers in my house have been protected with free Avast and have no virus's. Thsi computer quite working on my kid sometime mid 2008 and we just ignored it until now. I am beginning to clean it up and get it running smoothly again now that I am more experienced with protecting it (or so I'm still learning) and then eventually I will hook this puppy up to the flat screen TV in my bedroom so I can use it late at night to check emails and pay bills while in bed :thumbsup: That was the idea but I keep running into problems even getting it cleaned up. The tutorials on here are very helpful and I have learned much but I am stuck gettting any anti virus or malware software downloaded due to all the pop-ups and constant restarts the computer gives itself. Any ideas? I am under the understanding that the first move to make is to get the malware off of here (afgter turning on my firewall) and then downloading the antivirus and cleaning up infections and THEN I may be able to get online long enough for the microsoft downloads to work through the belly of the snake. This will take days, I'm sure. Do you know what that error code is for?

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,612 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:37 PM

MSVCR90.dl is a part of Microsoft Visual C++ package, but the error may be simply a symptom of something else, like some infection, for instance.
I suggest, you start a new topic at "Am I Infected?" forum to see, if the computer is clean.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 techedumbdumb

techedumbdumb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:37 PM

Thanks for the advice. I never saw that forum or I proboly would have started there because no doubt, I'm infected with more than just a virus. I know I can save this computer but i's goign to take patience. Let me compile a list of programs I saw downloaded in the add/remove file and then I will post to a new topic under "am i infected". Thanks again Broni!

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,612 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:46 PM

You're welcome :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 techedumbdumb

techedumbdumb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:36 PM

The old computer won't let me stay online because of all the bugs it has so I got crafty and I downloaded Avast to my flash drive (on another working computer)and then plugged it into the computer and executed the set-up. :thumbsup: It worked!! I have been running the full virus scan for the last two hours and it has found infected files. Just wanted to post this on here so someone else having problems can get the same advice.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,612 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:41 PM

Very good :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users