Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP won't install programs

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 roset

roset

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:17 AM

This is what I have noticed for a while. Whenever I try to install a program, whether from CD or from a download, at some point it stops running and I have to abort the install. Just recently I have tried to install AV but once it gets to the registering part, it hangs. Don't know or have any idea where the issue may be but one thing I know is that after trying with many programs, I believe the problem is in the computer rather than a software issue.
I am running Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 SP3, IE 7.
Before I pull my hair out, please someone help! I need to install a new AV and I am totally unable to because it won't finish installing ... :thumbsup:
Thanks in advance,
Rose

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:01 AM

As you are able to load Windows, you could start by running Chkdsk from My Computer or Windows Explorer.

Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check.

Click Properties, and then click Tools.

Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed;

To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information,
select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start.

You will receive the following message:

The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs
exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows.
Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?

Click Yes to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

Make a note of the information and post back.

Are you sure your computer is now malware-free?

Edited by petewills , 02 March 2010 - 11:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users