Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Customize Ubuntu 9.10 Live CD

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:13 AM

Hi. I have the ISO for ubuntu 9.10 (Official, Alpha, all that) and I want to customize it. Meaning like, KDE, WINE, Latest OpenOffice, all pre-installed. Is there any way to do this? I have Windows and Mac on my Mac, so, either OS is supported. Mac Prefered, but Windows works.

Thanks!!!
SteinPooch

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:31 PM

I think you will have to install all the packages you want on a base install then make a livecd of the install you did.

#3 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:59 PM

These links may interest you:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/remastersys.html
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/remastersys
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#4 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:58 PM

Thanks guys! But, for the first replyer, how would I go about doign that?

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 05:02 PM

Try this: http://linuxowns.wordpress.com/2008/01/08/...or-mint-system/ I am not sure how it works, but I would give it a whirl.

#6 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 05:10 PM

Thanks a lot! Now I can make a Kubuntu distro that has everything my friends need, so I can switch them from Windows.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 05:22 PM

Thanks a lot! Now I can make a Kubuntu distro that has everything my friends need, so I can switch them from Windows.

Dont get disgruntled when they wont switch.

#8 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:49 AM

Don't worry, they all have Vista or 7. Difference between Vista/7 Desktop and Kubuntu KDE Desktop: NONE. Why? Because Microsoft is a bunch of idea stelaing pigs.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:29 AM

Don't worry, they all have Vista or 7. Difference between Vista/7 Desktop and Kubuntu KDE Desktop: NONE. Why? Because Microsoft is a bunch of idea stelaing pigs.

THere is a difference WIndows GUI is much more responsive then KDE. The latest versions of KDE are so slow in comparison and are RAM Hogs. It was bogging down my P4 3Ghz with 2Gigs of RAM and a XFX 6800 GT Video Card. I switched to GNOME which is far more superior to KDE and on par with responsiveness as is the Windows GUI. Its just not me that notices this behavior its quite a few linux users I know.

#10 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:45 AM

I've found KDE faster than Windows XP, but Mac is much faster. Do you want the distro I'm making?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users