Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Audio device

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 okroz

okroz

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:38 AM

After trying to add a Dell Laptop to my Dell Inspiron PC (home group?) I've had trouble. I have lost most all of my sound. System sounds are not there but if I get an e-mail with a .wmv video I am able to hear that sound. After trying to remove the networking feature I noticed that I can't click on any desktop icon when I first boot up. I have subsequently found out that if I kill a svchost process ( it almost always has the most memory usage of all the startup processes) I then can click on any icon and use my PC but with no sound. I did find out that the svchost process I have to kill belongs to network services. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:50 AM

You've already checked Device Manager...to ensure that the audio drivers are installed?

If so, then you've already uninstalled them, then rebooted and installed them again?

Louis

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:58 AM

After trying to add a Dell Laptop to my Dell Inspiron PC (home group?) I've had trouble. I have lost most all of my sound.

This will not cause your sound to disappear something else happened.

#4 okroz

okroz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 02:25 PM

The drivers have been uninstalled and reinstalled no change

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 06 March 2010 - 02:26 PM

Then your audio device is dead.

#6 okroz

okroz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:05 AM

I do have sound when I recieve an email with a video attached. (.wmv) I also hear a few brief sounds while on line as if someone just logged in and is an instant message "buddy" but no one appears on my buddy list. Otherwise there is no sound

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:54 AM

In that case...you need to check your volume control settings and ensure that nothing is muted that should not be.

Such controls vary from system to system, depending on what software has been installed for audio purposes, along with the audio drivers.

Louis

#8 okroz

okroz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:00 AM

That was the first thing I checked. It tells me "No Audio Device"

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:06 AM

You cannot get sound on a system...when there is "no audio device" reflected by the system.

It's just not possible...unless you only have the internal speaker working (the one that beeps for BIOS errors) and you have no sound at all coming from the audio connections of the system.

In that case...I suspect your onboard audio is dying/dead.

Inexpensive Alternatives

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 11 March 2010 - 10:09 AM.

#10 okroz

okroz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:46 AM

Sorry my friend but it says "no audio device" but I do get sounds when someone sends me an email with a .mvw type video. And occasionally,out of no where, sounds will come out ...a gong sound,smooch sound and a bagpipe sound. Only for a second or two and with no obvious indication on my screen.

#11 okroz

okroz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:21 AM

I added a sound card.....no change

#12 Kalon Wiggins

Kalon Wiggins

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:31 AM

I've seen issues with the new cards conflicting with sound card drivers. The problem might be that your system doesn't recognize your soundcard as a soundcard anymore, resulting in the "Unknown Device (with exclamation point)"

Here's what I've done in the past to fix this issue.

If you have service pack 1 or 2, try this patch:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888111
You have to request the hotfix download i believe, and they email it to you if I recall.

If you have service pack 3 then you need to trick your OS into thinking it has service pack 2 first. Here's how:

Start menu > Run > regedit (opens the registry editor) and navigate to :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows
On the right side panel, doubleclick CSDVersion
Change the data value from 300 to 200.
Close the registry editor, and reboot.

Run the patch mentioned above. Windows should be able to recognize your soundcard now and you can install the drivers if needed. Next, you need to set the service pack key back to service pack 3, so go back into the regedit, and set that same key back to 300 and reboot again. If all goes well, you'll be enjoying some sound.

#13 okroz

okroz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:38 AM

I tried this and no change. By the way it doesn't tell me "unknown device" It says "no audio device" and since trying this procedure I now have absolutely no sound. I had to do a sytem restore to put everything back.

#14 Kalon Wiggins

Kalon Wiggins

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:39 PM

so it says no audio device in your sound settings, and the drivers all show up properly in device manager?

When you tried the new soundcard did you disable the onboard sound in the bios 1st? If not, try that, as it sound like your onboard audio may be toast. I don't understand though why it would be making any sound at all if it says theres no audio device to push that sound to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users