Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtual Memory Low - Computer Running Very Slow

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 falsepositive

falsepositive

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:06 AM

When I try to open internet explorer it hangs up and will not open. I also notice that it says the toolbar is corrupted, click here to uninstall below where I would put my search topic. My computer also sounds like it is constantly running even if I don't have anything open. I have run my superantispyware and malwarebytes program, but there are no problems found.

The last day or so I have gotten the following message: Your system is low on virtual memory. Windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory paging file. During this process, memory requests for some applications may be denied. For more information, see Help.

I have opened the task manager process list and noticed that iexplore.exe is taking up quite a bit of space as well as something called wuauclt.exe.

Can you help? Do I have a virus I'm not aware of and not able to catch with my malwarebytes or superantispyware programs?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:55 AM

Well, iexplore.exe is Internet Explorer. wuauclt.exe is the Windows Autoupdates client. You could stop using either too conserve memory if you would like, but I am going too assume thats not much of an option.

Virtual Memory is some hard drive space that is reserved too be used like RAM when your RAM is too full. Using Virtual Memory is much slower that physical memory, which is most likely the case why it is slow. You could increase the ammount of Virtual Memory, which will resolve the issue of Windows telling you that your system is low on virtual memory. Make sure you have a bit of hard drive space open for this, as it may not work at all if your drive is full. If your trying too fix both the issue of the virtual memory and speed, your best option is too upgrade the RAM. It's pretty cheep nowadays.

When it comes too the corrupted toolbar, that indeed does sound like a virus. I looked around and it sounds like Malwarebytes should be able too do it single handedly. Make sure you have Malwarebytes fully updated. I personally would like too scan in safe mode, as nothing else is running and it can be quicker. Make sure you do a full system scan, let me know if this pulls any results.

My computer also sounds like it is constantly running even if I don't have anything open.

Like the fans are spinning constantly? That sounds like you have some dust in your heatsink. Open your case and look for something inside that looks similar to this:

Posted Image

Grab a can of compressed air and start dusting it out. That should solve the issue.

Hope I helped!
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 falsepositive

falsepositive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:55 AM

I have run my superantispyware and malwarebytes in and out of safe mode. They come up clean. Internet Explorer will open but if I click on anything it still hangs up then closes. Even after running the scans in safe mode, the toolbar corruption message is still there.

I tried to make the pagefile.sys bigger several times but it did not make a difference. Just for grins I did a search for pagefile.sys and could not find where it is on my computer. Don't know if that is some kind of hidden file?

I decided to try to set my restore point to an earlier date to see if that made any difference, but it did not.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:48 AM

Did you run Disc Clean up in system tools? I have found that having a bunch of junk in the temp files slows things down.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:08 AM

Please post your computer specs:

Make/model
CPU, RAM
OS, service pack.
What version of Internet Explorer.
Size of Disk and how much free space you have.

Can you try another browser - if that's OK, you may need to uninstall/reinstall your current browser.

The pagefile.sys sits in the root directory and is a hidden file.

It's there if Windows is managing the system memory and as Windows does a pretty good job
in this respect, there's generally no need to set a custom size.

Edited by petewills , 03 March 2010 - 08:23 AM.

#6 falsepositive

falsepositive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:56 AM

Yes, I did run a disc cleanup in the system tools. Didn't make a difference.

I either have explorer 6 or 7. Can't look because the internet explorer hangs up then closes before I can do anything. My internet is virtually useless right now. Unfortunately, I don't have another browser.

I won't have access to post the computer specs until tomorrow morning. I did check the amount of free space last night and there is quite a bit.

Is it possible that the pagefile.sys file could be corrupted or missing?

#7 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:07 AM

If you're stuck for a browser:

Mozilla Firefox Portable Edition Download

http://mozilla-firefox-portable-edition.br...ortable-edition

Requirements: Win 98,2000,Me,Windows Xp,Windows Vista

Windows Explorer / Tools / Folder Options / View - click on 'show hidden files and folders'

Uncheck 'Hide extensions for known file types'

Do you now see pagefile.sys in the root, by selecting Local Disk (C:).

Right click on My Computer icon on desktop; select properties / advanced / performance / settings

In Performance Options, click on 'advanced'

Click on 'change' JUST TO LOOK, not to do anything.

If the dot is in 'system managed size', that confirms that you should definitely have the pagefile.sys file.

If the dot is in 'custom' or 'no paging file', please advise - do not do anything at this stage.

Click CANCEL, CANCEL, CANCEL and NO changes will be made.

What version (if any) of Internet Explorer is listed in Add / Remove.

Edited by petewills , 03 March 2010 - 11:31 AM.

#8 falsepositive

falsepositive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:31 PM

I can't do the 'show hidden files and folders' or uncheck the 'hide extensions...types' until this evening.

However, I do know for a fact that when I look at the Performance Options and click on 'advanced' that the dot is in 'custom' and there are numbers associated with it.

#9 falsepositive

falsepositive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:55 PM

Strangely when I got home my internet explorer is now working with no problems. I have no idea why it is working or how long it will last as I have not been able to do anything with it.

Anyway, my computer specs are posted below:

Compaq Presario 061
1.81 GHz, 448 MB of RAM
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer Version is 6.0
Disk Size is 106 GB
Free Disk Space is 77.4 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys shows up when I got to start-accessories-system tools-system information

#10 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:33 PM

The message is not an error, it is an informative message that XP is doing it's job. It just needs help doing a better job.

Unless you know more about managing memory than XP, it is best to set the Virtual Memory to System managed, but let's take a look.

You can probably resolve it when we get some more information.

What are your current malicious software arrangements? McAfee, Norton, Spybot...

To eliminate questions and guessing, please provide additional information about your system.

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste
the information back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User Name), and whatever appears to
be private information to you, just delete it from the pasted information.

Post a screenshot of your Task Manager as follows:

Right click the Taskbar, choose Task Manager and select the Processes tab.

Click View, Select Columns, check the box that says: Virtual Memory Size. Expand the length and width of the Task Manager box so you can see all the columns and processes.

Double click a column heading in TM to sort by the column. For example, sort Task Manager by the VM Size column largest to smallest since that is the area of interest.

To create and post a screenshot:

Press the Print Scrn button to copy your entire screen to the Windows clipboard.

Press Alt Print Scrn to copy just the active window to the Windows clipboard.

Open MS Paint:

Start, Program Accessories, Paint

When Paint opens, press CTRL-V to paste the clipboard, save the new Paint file to your desktop or someplace you can remember. Save the output as a JPG file. JPG files take up less hard disk space than BMP files and just as readable.

Make as many screenshots as you need. Practice makes perfect. Be careful your screenshot does not contain any personal information. Practice viewing your images before you upload them to be sure they are okay.

Some sites (like bleepingcomputer) will let you attach a file directly to your post. If the site has some kind of attachment/upload function it is usually easiest just to use it.

Look under the window here and there is an attachment UPLOAD section - please use it.

Your Task Manager post will look something like this example from my system:

Edited by joseibarra, 03 March 2010 - 08:45 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#11 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:26 PM

Worth reading - How to set performance options in Windows XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308417

In particular:

" Windows allocates resources according to its settings and manages devices and programs accordingly."

" To have Windows select the best paging file size, click System managed size.

The recommended minimum size is the same as 1.5 times the RAM on your computer,
and 3 times that figure for the maximum size. For example, if you have 256 MB of RAM,
the minimum size is 384 MB, and the maximum size is 1152 MB."

" For best performance, do not set the initial size to less than the minimum recommended size
under Total paging file size for all drives. The recommended size is the same as 1.5 times the RAM
on your computer. It is good practice to leave the paging file at its recommended size as performance
can decrease if a paging file is too large. However, you may increase its size if you frequently use programs
that use lots of memory, such as graphics programs or games."

Unless you know more about managing memory than XP, it is best to set the Virtual Memory to System managed.

Edited by petewills , 04 March 2010 - 12:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users