Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows username and password

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 T Edwin

T Edwin

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:31 AM

Well.. I've done it now!!! ( again)

I've recently ( thru the help of an experienced friend and after being attacked by some Trojan? ) re-installed XP Home. Things have been running smoothly :flowers: even tho' it all looks different and not all files were backed up :thumbsup: !

I had to clic the 'login' icon everytime I did something and came back to the desktop so we changed a couple settings in the Display:

I "restarted" last night and now a small window showed up saying I have to enter a username and password for Windows? When/did I during "re-install" have to establish a username and password for Windows??? Was that during the time just before I nodded off?

Regardless.. I can't make use of my "business" computer and it's costing me - none of my 'business' contacts have the email address to this computer.. Help!?

Thanks...

T Edwin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:44 AM

I believe the only password it asks for during the install process is the Administrator account, which is not normally shown on regular log in. If you have a second account that you are using for this computer then, something or someone has set a password on it.

However, I cannot tell you how too bypass the password as that would be a security risk.

But I do believe if you contact a moderator, and send them a link too this topic, they may be able too help you. (I'd do it myself but I am not sure if I'd get in trouble or not. :thumbsup: )
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:11 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321305

The official MS version:

If it is home, move down to where it says
Windows XP Home Edition or Windows XP Professional

and remember that xp home by default creates a blank password for the administrator account.

Some OEM installs of xp also create a blank administrator password.

If all else fails linux live cd can be used to change the password. Google for info.

Those of us who fix computers have to use these methods fairly often given the state of users memories and the prevalence of methods of saving passwords so the user forgets them almost immediately.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:57 AM

FWIW: I believe that installing MS.NET automatically invokes the login screen for any user, when installed.

MS.NET is a mandatory install for some programs.

http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php

Louis

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:56 AM

I believe the only password it asks for during the install process is the Administrator account, which is not normally shown on regular log in. If you have a second account that you are using for this computer then, something or someone has set a password on it.

During Setup of XP Home and Pro it will ask you to create an account at the end of the process.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users