Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD Disk Space Allocation

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Tinwoodsman

Tinwoodsman

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:47 PM

I have a Vaio notebook with XP Professional which has a partitioned disks C and D. I am running out of space on C but have 15 GB on D. Is there anyway to reallocate this space?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 djsi

djsi

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:32 AM

Have a look at "parted magic"A live linux cd that may have the capability of stretching your windows partition.I'm not sure but it's worth looking at.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:15 AM

Why not simply move some data files (notably, those in My Documents, My Videos, etc.) to the D: partition?

Those folders don't have to contain the contents, they are just a "convenience" Microsoft created for users.

Louis

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:01 PM

How big is your total drive?

#5 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:07 PM

Gparted is a good piece of software. download the ISO file and create a boot cd from this. Then boot the system to the CD and move the partitions around.

There is a good way of allocating more space on the primary drive and that would be to move the Page file to the other drive and this will free that amount of space on the C:.

Moving the Documents to the other drive is another plan as mentioned above but you will have to be aware that this can cause some programs to get confused on where to save files back to as they will not know the new location. You will have to manage this yourself if you go down that option.
Posted Image

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:44 PM

Are you sure, drive D is not your recovery partition?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#7 Tinwoodsman

Tinwoodsman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:41 PM

My HDD is 40 GB. I have already moved many folders to the D partition such as photos, music, various Word and Excel documents. I am not Bill Gates so I need a method that is realtively easy to do. Thanks for all the inputs so far.

By the way. What is the Page File?

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:45 PM

By the way. What is the Page File?

It is where files get placed after you run out of RAM.

#9 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:31 AM

A Page file is what is know as Virtual Memory. This is a file that will store data that does not need to be using standard fast memory for proccesses. This should be 1 and half times the size of the amount of memory you have installed in the machine. To be able to change this you will need to do the following

Right click My Computer
Select Properties.
Goto Advanced Tab
Under Performance Click Settings Button
Goto Advanced Tab
at the bottom Called Virtual Memory Click Change Button
You will see there where the Page file is stored and how large it is assigned to. If you want to change the destination do this from here.

Computer will require a reboot for the settings to be changed.

I hope this helps.
Posted Image

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:41 AM

A Page file is what is know as Virtual Memory. This is a file that will store data that does not need to be using standard fast memory for proccesses. This should be 1 and half times the size of the amount of memory you have installed in the machine. To be able to change this you will need to do the following

Right click My Computer
Select Properties.
Goto Advanced Tab
Under Performance Click Settings Button
Goto Advanced Tab
at the bottom Called Virtual Memory Click Change Button
You will see there where the Page file is stored and how large it is assigned to. If you want to change the destination do this from here.

Computer will require a reboot for the settings to be changed.

I hope this helps.

Never ever change your pagefile.sys size. It is best to leave that up to windows.

#11 Tinwoodsman

Tinwoodsman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:36 AM

Windows recently changed my virtual memory size and I got a warning saying their was a free space problem. I have a 30 GB drive with 11.71 GB in :C (1.17 GB free space) and 16.22 GB in :D (13.68 GB free space) I have 512 MB RAM with is the max my Vaio notebook will allow.

What confuses me is that I have moved most of my documents, all of my music and photos and other misc. stuff to the :D drive. My major programs left in :C are Windows XP, Office 2003, Adobe, Virus Scan and Spybot and Adobe Elements and Roxio CD Create. I have a hard time believing I am using 11.7 GB for this. I didn't even have enough space to defragment the drive.

What am I missing.

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:50 AM

Never ever change your pagefile.sys size

Many people, including myself use fixed pagefile size. There is nothing wrong with it, especially when a drive space is at stake.

Tinwoodsman

11.71 GB in :C (1.17 GB free space)

Windows needs at 15% of a free space to operate correctly. 1.75GB in your case.
I assume, it's an older laptop and it's probably not worth to get bigger hard drive, so you need to look for some other solution.
Office, Adobe and Roxio are rather big programs. Roxio itself is like 1GB monster. Do you really use all of its features? If not, you can get much smaller, free programs like CDBurnerXP, or DVDFlick, which will do a very same job with much less space.
As for Office and Adobe, I'd uninstall them and reinstall them on D drive.

Edited by Broni, 03 March 2010 - 11:51 AM.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:10 PM

You can also use: FoxIT Reader instead of Adobe.

Also all the windows updates you have done and their uninstallers take up space too.

Edited by cryptodan, 03 March 2010 - 12:13 PM.

#14 Tinwoodsman

Tinwoodsman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:25 PM

Is there anyway to get a full picture how the full :C drive space is allocated? Right now I am looking at each item listed in the :C drive and the size of the programs in the "Add and Remove Software"

#15 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:26 PM

Download, and install Disk Space Reporter: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System...-Reporter.shtml

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users